🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Prince Rogers Nelson

Quentin Tarantino Presents: Hell Ride

When QT isn't making films that are epoch-defining, indulgent, or both, he's putting his name on various quasi-legitimate products. Some of them, like the Beat Takeshi films he's sponsored, are worth a damn. Some, like Hell Ride, ain't. Hell Ride is the second labor of love(?) from writer/director/producer/lead actor Larry Bishop, spawn of Rat Pack member Joey Bishop. It's a truly terrible tribute to the classic biker films of the 60's, with plenty of Tarantino-aping thrown in.

Check out this trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHglhwcwO8I

There is really too much to say about this movie. A horribly miscast Bishop stars as Pistolero, the leader of a badass biker gang, whose lieutenant is killed by crossbow-toting rival Vinnie Jones (keeping his brit accent because hey why not). Aided by his friend The Gent (Michael Madsen in a tuxedo shirt) and recent gang initiate The Commanche / Sonny / etc (HDTGM MVP Eric Balfour), who the film subtly implies might have some sort of connection with Pistolero that goes beyond gang ties, Pistolero goes on a series of rides for... Revenge? Buried treasure? Control of the road? It's really unclear. Also David Carradine and Dennis Hopper show up and phone it in.

Marvel at the clumsily staged fights. Tremble before endless, self-satisfied double entendres. Thrill as a dude pushing the latter half of middle age growls and smirks while the male actors around him pretend to be in awe of him and the female actors pretend to find him irresistibly virile and sexy. Also those female actors bare their naked breasts. So many naked breasts, and yet so little joy in this movie. Did I mention there's a peyote tripping scene? They really busted out the camera tricks for that one.

If that's not enough for you, Larry Bishop made another movie in 1996 called Mad Dog Time. It's a mob flick starring Larry Bishop (naturally) plus Jeff Goldblum, Gabriel Byrne and Richard Dreyfuss. I hope you find rhyming names to be endlessly amusing because they are utilized endlessly.

Consider it! It would be absolutely clown-shoes mental if it weren't abjectly awful.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this