🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Lando

Hancock

I think this movie would make a good episode even for people who enjoy this movie. It's written by Breaking Bad creator Vince Gillian and it's some odd mishmash of a superhero, alien and angel movie and can't decide if it wants to be serious or humorous. Plus a lot of incidental characters who know firsthand that Hancock is invincible regularly try to intimidate him or shoot at him. It's a really bizarre movie.

Wow, I can't disagree more. The tonal shift from comedy to drama works perfectly, and the revealed origin story (which provides what you call an "odd mishmash of a superhero, alien, and angel movie") is genuinely clever (immortal superheroes would be the sort of enigmas that people would attach different labels to) and thematically moving.

It's not a great film, but it may be the most underrated movie of the past 5 years.

How do you explain the prison scene? Most of those criminals are there because he put them there, they all know he is bulletproof, super strong and can fly and yet they still try to intimidate him!

This movie didn't need a twist. The first half was on its own, a compelling concept for an entire movie. Then it twisted. And got all poopy.

How do I explain the prison scene? Honestly, that sort of reflexive aggression from none-to-bright violent felons makes perfect sense. Sure, Hancock is supposed to be a superhero, but for some reason, despite the stories that he's bulletproof, super-strong, and can fly, he's decided to turn himself in and go to prison. He claims it's because he's turned a new leaf, but for all the prisoners know, it's because his powers are fading or even entirely gone. After all, none of them would turn themselves into prison if they had any choice about the matter, so why would Hancock?

It's probably not too fruitful to get into whether certain things are realistic in superhero movies, but once you suspend your disbelief that far, why wouldn't you think that someone would try to jump him in prison?

We'll just have to disagree. Still don't you think it could be an entertaining episode?

I don't know -- I definitely think the AVClub Talk podcast which discussed it was pretty great, but Hancock wasn't bad enough or crazy enough to make for a good HDTGM.

In my opinion, of course. But the difference between the overall critical reception and my rating of it is so great that my opinion in this case is more strongly felt than it would otherwise be.

Holy shit Vince Gilligan was involved in writing this, but left it to do Breaking Bad! I wonder what it would have been like had he been with it to the end, it probably would have had Berg's touch on it, but would have been more coherent.

Sign in to follow this