🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

"The Informers" came and went pretty quickly in 2009, but it's toward the top of my list of favorite guilty pleasure movies. First of all, it's dealing with a very serious topic (the AIDS epidemic in the 1980's), it's based on a Brett Easton Ellis book, and it's got an all star cast (Billy Bob Thorton, Kim Basinger, Mickey Rourke, Winnona Ryder, etc.) doing that "Crash" thing where various seemingly unrelated plotlines converge at the end.

But it does not gel at all and what you get is essentially the "Showgirls" of the aughts that's not only set in the 1980's but really goes well out of its way to remind you, at every turn, that it's set in the 80's with the some of the most hilarious on-the-nose music cues ever. It's beautifully shot with beautiful people (not all of whom are great actors) just being generally horrible to each other. It was basically disowned by Ellis, who was mad because they took out his vampire subplot (the vampire by the way was supposed to be played by Brandon Routh).

If you have a Netflix account, you can see for yourself right now since it's available on Watch Instantly.

With a 13% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, I humbly submit "The Informers."

• Like 1

I am shocked that this film has not been reviewed yet.  I have watched this movie at least 20 times and I STILL do not have any idea what's going on after about 20 minutes.  As a Sticher Premium member and I cannot stress how much Jason would enjoy this film.  As far as I can piece together, an earlier draft of this script MUST have been about vampires but was cut out of the scripted or edited in post.  

Exibit A: Mickey Rourke wears a blazer but never buttons up his shirt and randomly abducts a child.

Exibit B: A woman is punched in the face for NO reason

Exibit 😄 Every scene Amber Heard is in.  

This film cost $18 Million to make.  It was pulled from theatres after 3 days and made $350,000.  Brad Renfro also died of a heroin overdose immediately after they concluded filming, making this his final movie.