🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Of all the bonkers movies that you could cover, this is the one with the most critically-acclaimed classic buzz. 

BUT IT’S FUCKING BONKERS!! LIKE ART-FILM JACOB’s LADDER-TYPE BONKERS!!!!!!!!

The film begins as Burt Lancaster shows up at a friends’ pool dressed only in a swimsuit. He announces his plan to swim  in every pool in the county on his way home to his loving family during this one day. The rest of the film follows him on this cross-pool road-trip (like LITERAL roads. This film takes place mostly by pool or by foot).

it starts slowly but gets progressively odder from it’s weird beginning. Burt Lancaster Is FUCKING AMAZING at this relentlessly chipper man whose chipper ness just seems...off. The ending is worth the build up. This film knows how to milk its melodrama (it’s directed by Frank Perry, who would later go on to direct Mommie Dearest).

When I said that this film was Unspooled-adjacent, I wasn’t (entirely) kidding. It’s genuinely well-made and good and fucking weird. It would be an ideal candidate for either show! I just want to recommend it to HDGTM because I would LOVE to hear you guys wrap your minds around it. 

Legitimately, highly recommended..

P.S. There’s a sequence in there that will have June (and perhaps everyone) yelling “Keep Burt Lancaster AWAY FROM THAT CHILD!!

Sign in to follow this