🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DanielNash

Death Sentence w/ Kevin Bacon

This movie has been a guilty pleasure of mine since it came out in 2007, and I don't think I can recommend it enough. From the suspension of disbelief required to make Kevin Bacon an ass-kicker, to the multi-ethnic street gang, to the detective who's surprisingly blase about the hero's repeated murders, I was screaming WTF as often as I was entertained. As weird as it sounds, I like to put this (much grimmer) movie in the same class as The Blind Side: a movie designed to reassure upper class suburbanites of their superiority in all things, whether that's raising disadvantaged inner-city youths or slaughtering disadvantaged inner-city youths.

The best part of this was John Goodman as a gangbanger's terrifying father.

Yes, I just used "John Goodman" and "terrifying" in the same sentence.

I can buy John Goodman as an intimidating guy, but his role in that movie was COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. It seemed his entire purpose in that movie was to remind his son, ad nauseum, that he doesn't give a shit about him.

I laughed so hard during the scene after Kevin Bacon bought all the guns. Bacon has no idea who Goodman's character is, and he is already well on his way out the door. But Goodman takes the time to pick up a gun, inform Kevin Bacon he's the father of the guy he's going to kill, and then explain "I don't care if you kill my boy since you paid cash, but don't ask me where he is." HE WASN'T GOING TO! He had no idea who this guy was!

I guess he was supposed to represent the opposite of Kevin Bacon's good father character, but it felt so forced.

Sign in to follow this