🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

What happened to us?

Why did we fall for this movie back then?

Why do we think it's pretty stupid now?

Have you ever watched a plastic bag dance?

I think this movie gets way too much flack though. I've heard things like "Worst Best Picture winner ever" thrown around, to which I usually ask "Did you even SEE 'Chicago'?". Seriously, THAT movie had like 15 minutes of story to it.

I think this movie gets way too much flack though. I've heard things like "Worst Best Picture winner ever" thrown around, to which I usually ask "Did you even SEE 'Chicago'?". Seriously, THAT movie had like 15 minutes of story to it.

Honestly, a lot of recent Best Picture winners are terrible. "The Artist?" "Slumdog Millionaire?" Yes, those were surely the best of their respective years, and not boring, predictable parodies of silent movies and manipulative, demeaning crap, respectively.

Honestly, a lot of recent Best Picture winners are terrible. "The Artist?" "Slumdog Millionaire?" Yes, those were surely the best of their respective years, and not boring, predictable parodies of silent movies and manipulative, demeaning crap, respectively.

I like "The Artist" quite a bit, and I thought it was pretty cleverly made, but I agree that it wasn't exactly the "Best" movie of the year. I always kind of find it frustrating when you get these movies that hit at the end of the year that, if you don't live in a bigger city or if you're stuck in a smaller market, you don't really get to see until after all the hype. I mean, there are certain filmmakers and types of films that I'm pretty sure I'll like, but its hard to honestly root for something if you haven't had a chance to see it.

Regardless of what you think about "American Beauty", I do like it when there's a mainstream film like this that IS (was?) popular that came out at a time where a lot of real people, not just critics and people that go to Oscar-nominated films because they're told to, got to see it and not have the awards season hype influencing the way they go into it. Often, you hear writers talk about movies coming out "too long ago" (translation: not in November or December) to really be considered contenders, which is funny, because then they'll talk about how great "Silence of the Lambs" was, which had been out for a full year when it cleaned house at the Oscars. Then you've got stuff like "Braveheart" and "Gladiator", which could almost be considered summer blockbuster tentpole films. "Crash" (ugh, don't get me started on that one...) came out the first week of May, and then "Hurt Locker" was also a summer release that kicked around for months and months, but never played on more than a few hundred screens at a time. On the other hand, there have been plenty of Oscar-bait kind of films that were frontrunners for months...until they were actually released and people saw (or in a lot of cases DIDN'T see) them. "Shipping News", anyone? "Pay It Forward"? *crickets*