🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jty3

Red Belt 2008

The protagonist in "Red Belt" is Mike Terry, a martial arts instructor (Brazilian Jiu-jitsu), who lives by a code of honor, and who has sworn never to use his skills except for self-defense.

Due a very bizarre set of circumstances, Terry is eventually driven to fight in a "no rules" mixed martial arts tournament for money.

Written and directed by David Mamet, this movie actually got generally decent reviews.

However, based on the terrible dialogue and convoluted story, I think that this would be a perfect movie for the podcast.

"Red Belt" is so bad, that amongst my friends, we have coined the phrase "Red Belt-ing," which is when you trick a friend into watching a movie that you have glowingly praised, when you secretly know that the movie is actually horrendous.

Best,

Jason

All things considered, this movie is one of the better MMA movies that came up during a slew of them including Fighting and Never Back Down ( two other HDTGM possibilities). The one thing I found ludicrous was that Tim Allen was an action star in the movie, TIM "SANTA CLAUS" ALLEN.

Honestly, between this, that stupid Hollywood book he wrote, and his conversion to conservatism (which appears to be nothing more than warmed-over thoughts from Fox News, judging by one review I read), I think David Mamet lost his mind sometime in the last decade.

The dialog in Mamet movies always comes off more like play dialog than movie dialog. Even the amazing Glengary Glen Ross has its more play-like moments.

Sign in to follow this