🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Lherrm

The Beach Bum (2019)

What should be a solid cast turned into one of to one of those movies that leaves you wondering ‘wtf am I watching‘ and how did all these acclaimed actors read this script and think ‘Yes. sign me up’. It would make more sense if this movie was made before they all hit it big but it was released this year in 2019

strung out Matthew mcconaughey mixed with an embarrassingly terrible southern accent from Jonah hill (- were the multiple simultaneous  playful dick grabs necessary  ?). Throw Zac Efron, Isla Fisher, snoop dogg and Martin Lawrence in there.....There’s a homelesss person pool party/pillow fight..

Basically I’m saying you could make an entire podcast based off the first 20 minutes alone .

• Like 1

I haven't seen it, but I read this about it and was under the impression that its sort of a parody of "the Egregiously Unconvincing False Genius trope."

"The Egregiously Unconvincing False Genius trope involves a TV show or movie or book constantly trying to convince us that its characters are geniuses creating transcendent, incontrovertibly brilliant and undeniable art when the snippets of work we get to see and experience suggest they’re talentless phonies."

Seems like it's also a parody of the troubled genius/genius slacker trope. Sounds like there's basically nothing likable or redeemable about McConaughey's character, yet everyone loves him and he gets laid like crazy.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:25 AM, Lherrm said:

What should be a solid cast turned into one of to one of those movies that leaves you wondering ‘wtf am I watching‘ and how did all these acclaimed actors read this script and think ‘Yes. sign me up’. It would make more sense if this movie was made before they all hit it big but it was released this year in 2019

strung out Matthew mcconaughey mixed with an embarrassingly terrible southern accent from Jonah hill (- were the multiple simultaneous  playful dick grabs necessary  ?). Throw Zac Efron, Isla Fisher, snoop dogg and Martin Lawrence in there.....There’s a homelesss person pool party/pillow fight..

Basically I’m saying you could make an entire podcast based off the first 20 minutes alone .

The Beach Bum is written and directed by Harmony Korine, who specializes in WTF movies. His two most conventional films are Spring Breakers and Kids (which he wrote), which says something (but for the record, I actually liked the oddball Spring Breakers).

I haven’t seen The Beach Bum, but I’m sure it’s bonkers, because all of his films are.

Sign in to follow this