Episode 2 — White People Using The N-Word

30 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Yo, what up race cars! Today we are joined by Howard Kremer to discuss if white people using the N-word is racist. Call 323-389-7223 and leave us a voicemail if you want to ask us if something is racist. No robots please.

#2 newt00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

i agree with the consensus. good talk.

#3 Jake Page

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

#4 Inthehallwaynow

the captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

diggin this podcast haha

#5 danoooneill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Not to be indelicate, but this question is like the Poster Boy of Yo is this Racism. No, you can't say that shit if you're white. The fuck is wrong with you.

#6 Chalkdust

Not just any nobody!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

View Postdanoooneill, on 02 October 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

Not to be indelicate, but this question is like the Poster Boy of Yo is this Racism. No, you can't say that shit if you're white. The fuck is wrong with you.

On that note, I'm glad they got the biggun out of the way early, to pave the way for more nuanced and bizarre questions!
Tell Me About It
- - - - - - - - - - - -
@gregjhansen

#7 Ian Fin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Awesome show. I love Howard's comparison to running up on a sexy lady, "if you do what you want you might catch a beatdown!"

#8 Swass

Old Detroit Resistance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

The bottom line is why does somebody need to say it, anyway? Like whether or not you're "allowed" to use that word, -er or-a, what compels a white guy (any guy, really) to feel that's the word he needs to use at a given moment?
Fun little twist, if you feel the need to rap along with songs that use it, substitute the word "dragon." I've gotten to the point where even listening along in real time to Dead Prez songs, I hear "dragon" instead of what they actually use. It's fun!

#9 danoooneill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostJefro, on 03 October 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

The bottom line is why does somebody need to say it, anyway? Like whether or not you're "allowed" to use that word, -er or-a, what compels a white guy (any guy, really) to feel that's the word he needs to use at a given moment?
Fun little twist, if you feel the need to rap along with songs that use it, substitute the word "dragon." I've gotten to the point where even listening along in real time to Dead Prez songs, I hear "dragon" instead of what they actually use. It's fun!

...I do the same thing but with "bagel."

#10 Savethedavis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

View Postdanoooneill, on 03 October 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

...I do the same thing but with "bagel."

View PostJefro, on 03 October 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

I would be interesting to see a list of a the words people substitute for for the n-word. I tend to go with, "sucker," is that racist?

#11 Bruce Reid Robinson II

No good, two-bit, hippy womanizer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAny farm in Oregon

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

Sub ninja If you have to for the sake of syllables. Same sound only it's a compliment! And yes, there's no reason to call anyone the n word. It's 2012.

P.s. Is ninja racist if the person isn't of Japanese descent?

#12 TBA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

I was a little disappointed that they didn't talk about other races using the n word especially since Andrew could provide his own insight on Asians using the word.

#13 Swass

Old Detroit Resistance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

View Postrobinsbruce, on 03 October 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

P.s. Is ninja racist if the person isn't of Japanese descent?

It would definitely be racist if you ONLY use "ninja" when the person is of Japanese descent, that's for sure.

View PostTBA, on 03 October 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

I was a little disappointed that they didn't talk about other races using the n word especially since Andrew could provide his own insight on Asians using the word.

I noticed that, too, and thought maybe they just didn't want to wade into those waters (is that a phrase...?). Even the caller pointed out his own Hispanic/Latino heritage but specified white people in a way that made me wonder if he felt comfortable using it, himself. It's a moot point if the caller was a robot, as robots cannot be blamed for their programmed speech.

#14 Luke HENDERSON!

AKA Luke Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

View PostTBA, on 03 October 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

The other day at a park here in Denver, I was shocked by a group of white/Latino kids, proably age 9-12, all pretty much screaming it at each other. I kept looking around expecting someone to stop them. I think there is no fear behind it anymore. We need SHAFT to show up places and just assault people.

#15 Swass

Old Detroit Resistance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostLukas Holmes, on 03 October 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

We need SHAFT to show up places and just assault people.

might be the single greatest sentence I've seen on an Earwolf board.

#16 Chalkdust

Not just any nobody!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostLukas Holmes, on 03 October 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

We need SHAFT to show up places and just assault people.

...is THAT racist?
Tell Me About It
- - - - - - - - - - - -
@gregjhansen

#17 Luke HENDERSON!

AKA Luke Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostChalkdust, on 03 October 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

...is THAT racist?

I feel like it might be.

#18 danoooneill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Wait. People of other races can't do it either. I don't get why people think that would be okay.

#19 Luke HENDERSON!

AKA Luke Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

View Postdanoooneill, on 03 October 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Wait. People of other races can't do it either. I don't get why people think that would be okay.

Can't do what?

#20 Swass

Old Detroit Resistance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

I won't hit quote on Cellar Door's giant block of text, but CD: Nope! There wasn't a debate for you to end. I deleted a long rambling reply because I feel embarrassed clogging up the boards with a block of text, but you're at least incorrect about the motivations for subbing one word for another. And I get the feeling you're a fan of the "Why isn't there a WHITE Entertainment Television channel?" argument. I don't think you're a racist, I just get the feeling you want to seem edgy and intellectual, as evidenced by your need to give demographic information that lends nothing to your arguments.