🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Don't get me wrong, there are a couple laughs in this film and I love both Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy but this movie is just no good. I think it's perfect for HDTGM because its bad, but it's entertainingly bad. It's not so bad that it's not fun to watch.

First off I saw the unedited version which is 2 HOURS! 2 hours of identity thieving! And then guess what?! The film turns emotional and touching?! What! This film is bats*** all over and like a roller coaster ride where you get off at the end and wonder if you blacked out unknowingly during.

Really? I don't feel like this movie was remarkably bad or crazy at all, certainly not on a HDTGM-worthy level. I thought it was just a mediocre movie with some good parts. Plus I don't count it turning emotional and touching as a flaw, I thought Melissa McCarthy was really good in those scenes where she had to be serious.

Again, people are losing sight of the kind of movies done on HDTGM. A slightly below average comedy does not a good podcast make.

I don't think comedies tend to work for HDTGM unless they are truly horrendous a la Stop or My Mom Will Shoot or Jingle All The Way or I Know Who Killed Me.

I think a good standard would be - would 'Identity Thief' make a list of the 100 Worst Comedies of All-Time (English language)? Of course not.

Would it make a list of the 500 Worst? Still, no. 1000? Maybe, but still probably not. That's not the kind of movie worth doing on HDTGM, in my view.

• Like 1

I think a good standard would be - would 'Identity Thief' make a list of the 100 Worst Comedies of All-Time (English language)? Of course not.

Would it make a list of the 500 Worst? Still, no. 1000? Maybe, but still probably not. That's not the kind of movie worth doing on HDTGM, in my view.

Idk they have done movies like Timothy green, fast and furious, and burlesque which aren't in the range of worst 1000 but are make funable. I guess my point was just it's a fun movie to make fun of. Probably being rated a 4/10 most places

Idk they have done movies like Timothy green, fast and furious, and burlesque which aren't in the range of worst 1000 but are make funable. I guess my point was just it's a fun movie to make fun of. Probably being rated a 4/10 most places

I just don't think there's much to goof on. It was a run of the mill American comedy. In fact, it's basically a comedy road movie by numbers.

It's no better or worse than most other mainstream comedies released in any given year.

I think it's different than Fast Five & 6 because those are movies actually loved by the hosts. And with Timothy Green, it split the hosts, with Jason and Tim actually liking it.

Burlesque? I think it's really awful, definitely WAY more stuff to make fun of than Identity Thief in my opinion.

Again though, I'm not saying Identity Thief is good. It's just not THAT bad either.

Yeah I think comedies are weird territory for HDTGM, I only think comedies are good for the show if they're painfully unfunny, like The Love Guru. Identity Thief I thought could've been better, but honestly I wasn't groaning or feeling uncomfortable watching it or anything. I actually feel like this comedy isn't so much bad as it just isn't what audiences expect from a comedy anymore. I think modern comedy has become so saturated with jokes-per-minute that when a film isn't doing that we generally feel underwhelmed unless it's clearly a dramedy or something. I think comedies used to be able to get away with being more focused on character and story, and not using every moment to be funny. So I don't know, I think expectations play a really big role in how movies are percieved. Or maybe I'm crazy and this movie is just garbage. I DON'T KNOW!

Burlesque? I think it's really awful, definitely WAY more stuff to make fun of than Identity Thief in my opinion.

also cher is pretty much like lebron in that their presence in an ensemble immediately makes them contenders in their respective fields

• Like 1

also cher is pretty much like lebron in that their presence in an ensemble immediately makes them contenders in their respective fields

No doubt!

I don't think comedies tend to work for HDTGM unless they are truly horrendous a la Stop or My Mom Will Shoot or Jingle All The Way or I Know Who Killed Me.

I don't even think that "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot" even made for that great of a show. Even here on the message boards people couldn't find a lot to talk about, and it somehow turned into like 4 straight pages of discussion about Woody Allen's filmography.

I don't know, we got that golden gif of our 3 heroes raising out of Stallone's ass from that episode. That alone was worth it.

I thought Paul said they avoid comedies, specifically because they are comedians in hollywood.