🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
EarBear

HOMEFRONT

NOT the Marine sequel, mind you. I just watched a rough cut of the trailer for this flick at work. It looks fucking amazing. James Franco hamming it up as the meth kingpin bad guy, HDGTM darling Jason Statham as the undercover cop hero, Kate Bosworth and Winona Ryder as strung out tramps, and FUCKING SYLVESTER STALLONE has SOLE WRITING CREDIT.

Let that sink in for a bit.

This looks like a real masterpiece of craploitation for the ages.

Coming out end of November. I love it when they do eps on flicks still in theaters, I wanna get this one in the hat early...

• Like 1

FUCKING SYLVESTER STALLONE has SOLE WRITING CREDIT.

Let that sink in for a bit.

He's written a shitload of screenplays, some of them not too shabby. Rocky and First Blood are solid classics. Then you have stuff like Over The Top and Cobra. So who knows what his actual writing process is; maybe he's actually just scribbling vague concepts on a napkin and giving it to an intern or something.

And he's still profitable. Expendables 2 was not a great movie (which sucks, because with a good action director and some rewrites (maybe get Scott Aukerman to punch it up, à la Shark Tale) it could have been amazing) but it returned $300 million on a $100 million budget.

Plus, Franco is a fairly hot commodity these days and I can't think of a movie he's made where at the very least his performance wasn't enjoyable.

• Like 1

He's written a shitload of screenplays, some of them not too shabby. Rocky and First Blood are solid classics. Then you have stuff like Over The Top and Cobra. So who knows what his actual writing process is; maybe he's actually just scribbling vague concepts on a napkin and giving it to an intern or something.

And he's still profitable. Expendables 2 was not a great movie (which sucks, because with a good action director and some rewrites (maybe get Scott Aukerman to punch it up, à la Shark Tale) it could have been amazing) but it returned $300 million on a $100 million budget.

Plus, Franco is a fairly hot commodity these days and I can't think of a movie he's made where at the very least his performance wasn't enjoyable.

All solid points, though I would posit that the days of Stallone being able to crank out quality like Rocky are long gone. I wasn't really talking shit or saying this movie looks like a pile - the production quality actually looks great. But it does appear to be big budget sleaze / exploitation, so I think the crew cutting into it a bit would be fitting.

I probably should have noted the best part, if the trailer is to be trusted, it looks like the movie turns into a Taken rip off as Statham tracks down his Franco kidnapped daughter.

I dunno, so many really bad movies are done on HDTGM, I love it when they cover a flick that is utterly implausible, unrealistic and silly but also slick, fun and enjoyable. i.e. the Fast series. I think this movie has the potential to be that.

Or it will be a giant pile. Either way..

Or maybe two other guys wrote the script, Stallone came along and changed names and phrasings and took credit for writing the screenplay...

• Like 1

Also I just saw a cutdown of this where Statham and Stallone recorded an intro. They were basically flirting with each other. It was fucking magical.

• Like 1

Trailer just dropped a few hours ago.

I am not gonna stop campaigning for this one, even if you guys think I'm nuts.

http://movies.yahoo....-154037823.html

Okay, I am super on board with this, opening night. That trailer looks awesome and the director's track record is A+++++. This will be fun.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, various online information sources seem to have the release date as next summer. This is dropping this Thanksgiving. 11/27/13

• Like 1

Ahhhh dang, it's based on a novel. Not like that'll make it genuinely great, but it seems that will unfortunately reduce the insanity quotient. Still...

• Like 1

Ahhhh dang, it's based on a novel. Not like that'll make it genuinely great, but it seems that will unfortunately reduce the insanity quotient. Still...

Really? Do we not remember that Cobra was based on a novel?

This looks fantastic as far as action movies go, and with Statham doing his usual and Franco doing the odd turn as the villain, I'll definitely check this one out.

• Like 1

Spring Breakers is evidence that he can play "kinda scary person who has fallen through the cracks of a society" prettttttty well...

Spiderman 3 he wasn't such the villain as he was the dick former friend unlike in Spiderman 2 where he was a definite bad guy. Plus it is still rare to see him play a bad guy in films, and one that isn't cartoony (Spring Breakers) or one where it seems at times he's phoning it in (Spiderman sequels).

Franco has played a bad guy in quite a few things. Even on General Hospital he was a serial killer.

• Like 1

Franco has played a bad guy in quite a few things. Even on General Hospital he was a serial killer.

url1.gif

"Mmmmm.... That's some good murder."

• Like 3

Not gonna forget about this one.

They just put up that video with the Stallone / Statham intro. Watch them flirt with watch other - it is amazing:

• Like 1

REDBAND TRAILER!

I'm not gonna let go of this. Watch this fucking trailer and tell me this wouldn't be an amazing episode. This movie was fucking made for HDTGM.

Pretty sure Statham stabs a dude in the abdomen with a mother fucking gas pump nozzle @ :53.

Also, top comment - "why an undercover cop hide his cop papers in his undercover house?......"

This movie has already won my Roadhouse award for this year, based solely on trailers.

Get on board, guys.

In closing, CHUCK. FUCKING. ZITO.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm looking forward to this one. I'll be interested to see if Stallone can still write a decent action flick, especially one he's not starring in. As for his undercover files being in his basement the only thing I can think of is the sweet fucking memories bro and Statham wants to cherish that shit.

• Like 1

This does look sort of interesting, if only to see Franco franco-ing it up and doing stunts. Sidenote: Franco directed a film adaptation of "As I Lay Dying" and it has Danny McBride in it. I saw the trailer on TV and as soon as McBride's face is on screen, I burst out laughing. I don't think I could ever take him seriously in a dramatic movie.

• Like 2

I don't think I could ever take him seriously in a dramatic movie.

Really? I watched some clips at work and had no problem committing to McBride in a serious role. I was more thrown off by Franco's decision to cram in all kinds of weird split screen shots into the flick.

Sign in to follow this