🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jnoodlervoss

Trance (2013)

Trance (2013)- James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson, Vincent Cassel

Watched this the other night and I cannot believe that it has a 65+ rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Shoehorned plot devices, stupid use of amnesia and hypnosis, too confusing to follow, and just distractingly unbelievable. People have told me that I just don't understand it, but I challenge anyone to watch this whole thing without screaming "Fuck You" at all the convenient plot items. And the ending, holy cats! Are we to believe that the main character got away with murder and hid the body with the help from his ex-girlfriend (who wants to kill him because he abused her), all the while suffering from amnesia inducing head trauma that sends him to the hospital for MONTHS afterward? If she wanted to get rid of him, basically the entire driving point of the rest of the movie, why didn't just turn him in? Oh thats right, she needed him to STEAL A PAINTING, so all the sexual and domestic abuse is unimportant.

Christ, it is dumb.

This is perfect for the trio of “How Did This Get Made.” There are tons of “oh boy, oh boy” moments for Paul and it is hard to follow with plenty of room for speculation, which lends itself well to Ms. Diane. And, as an added bonus for Jason, Rosario Dawson in totally unnecessary full frontal nudity.

Just because movies are confusing doesn’t make them automatically high art. Please watch this crapfest and tell me that I am not wrong.

This is definitely one of my least favorite Danny Boyle movies, but I think he has enough good will built up to forgive this movie.

Didn't mind this movie at all. I seem to like Danny Boyle movies so I liked this one. a lot more then say Slumdog Millionaire, just that acid part was really unnecessarily and got on my nerves. this one you have to watch twice to get every little cookie, To connect each dot.

Is it worse than the last third of Sunshine becoming a mindless monster movie with a character that had no chance of being alive in the first place?

Yeah I was liking it until that all happened and then it just went to shit.

It really could've been a good movie if it focused more on the struggles of flying a ship to the sun. It didn't need the extra baggage, Subplot. I don't want to spoil it for other readers. So I'm being vague on purpose.

To be fair to the monster part of Sunshine it's far from the craziest part of the movie, they're supposed to fly a ship into the sun to explode a nuke near the surface to restart it. They may as well have said that they have to sprinkle magic fairy dust on the surface. The sun makes up something like 98% of the matter in the solar system and would liquefy even our best insulating technology somewhere around Mercury even if it cooled down a few percent. Sharknado essentially has a more credible premise than Sunshine.

That said, I really enjoy Sunshine, I think they basically tell you to not worry about the science early and to sit back and enjoy the ride. Boyle does a great job with putting together visual experiences and that's essentially what Trance is.

I do understand that some of you do like this movie, however, I ask these four questions to those defending this film:

1. How does a hypnotherapist gain access to and know how to run a CAT Scan. There is no nurse, doctor, or technician in the room. Rosario Dawson seemingly has a CAT Scan Machine in her office and is proficient at using it. Again, she is a Hypnotherapist. This scene only cements the already established fact that he is obsessed with her. Not necessary.

2. Why do we need to see Rosario Dawson fully nude? Was it to show that she would have done anything for him, including (gasp) shaving her pubic hair? If that was what this plot point was meant establish, why do we need to hear the razor and see her strutting out of the bathroom later? He is already obsessed with her and they are two seconds from sex, why run and do something more for the man you want to kill. Not that she wasn't stunning, but it seemed like it the scene was forced just to add some nudity.

3. She sets up this whole convoluted plan that took over a year (?) from start to finish for a painting. I can take that. This painting that she risked her life for was worth millions, so one would assume, in a good movie, she wanted to make sure she never had to work again. But, nope, she hangs it on wall and explains she couldn't sell it, it reminded her too much of the two main male characters; you know, the one that beat and tried to kill her and the other one whom she has known for about two weeks.

4. Hypnotherapists are alternative medicine "doctors." This movie supposes that they not only are ridiculously successful, as evident by her incredible office and home, but have a neurosurgeon's education level.

Honorable mentions: Selective amnesia, selling the stolen art, how did he get from the car accident to hospital without anyone seen the dead woman's body, and no one smelled the dead woman in the car that was impounded.

I tried to watch it again found even more problems that I did not add, but the premise that hypnotherapist are wealthy doctors that have access to their own CAT scan machines interlaced with the distracting nude scene and finishing with a plot twist that contradicts the plot of the entire movie confounds me.

I tried it again but I cannot give this film any credit.

Hollywood making a career seem more glamorous than it would be in real life? They'd never.

Lando- at one point there was a idea to get rid nuclear waste by shooting them at the sun. Especially nuclear satelltes that hover around the earth. there is a worry that they can become a dirty bomb when they fall into orbit and hit a city. so most countries in the world have agreed not to launch nuclear powered satelltes but that hasn't stopped them from doing so.

jnoodlervoss- your right about MRI's and CT scans I've sadly had too many of them in the years and know they are not easy to get access to.

and you forgot the one rule of hypnotherapist, you can't hypnotized someone unless they want to be hypnotized. it doesn't work that way. You have to believe that it works in order for it to work. much like acupuncture. there is no scientific proof that it works but if you believe it works it does. once someone tells you the truth about it the magic stops working. this is called the placebo effect.

• Like 1

Why do we need to see Rosario Dawson fully nude?

Fuck, I gotta see this movie now!

• Like 1

i like danny boyle, i love rosario dawson and james mcavoy, but this movie was offensively bad to me in a way no other movie ever has been for some reason. my girlf and i watched it and i was just in a bad mood for the rest of the night. i think we went in thinking itd be a caper but the tonal shift over the last 20 minutes really really turned me off and nauseated me. i don't even think a june-"so-upsetting" does it justice for me

i hate this movie!!! sorry to get so mad, gang

Sign in to follow this