🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
thechobgoblin

Moonwalker

Terrible CGI rabbits, Children recreating Jacko videos, Chimps on fairground rides, Joe Pesci trying to get the world addicted to drugs with his children henchmen. Come on!

Terrible CGI rabbits, Children recreating Jacko videos, Chimps on fairground rides, Joe Pesci trying to get the world addicted to drugs with his children henchmen. Come on!

That's stop-motion, my friend. Not Computer Generated Imagery. Stop motion - a.k.a. "claymation". Good ole' fashioned nightmare fuel courtesy of Will Vinton studios (now, Laika. The people who did ParaNorman and Coraline). Back when they were Will Vinton, they also did this scary-ass shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nir9TjozWvU

And yeah, Moonwalker is next level bonkers! They've noticed this pattern before, with stuff like Glitter and Spice World - when you make a movie just to highlight a singer, you're getting nonsense. But MJ went above and beyond here. NOTHING makes sense from scene-to-scene. "Magical Realism" doesn't hold this film together IN THE SLIGHTEST. It just hops from nightmare sequence to cool music video to WTF moments... my favorite being the end. Y'know, where Joe Pesci and his shadowy Drug Army soldiers are firing on Michael as he sits on the floor in his white "Smooth Criminal" suit, then he looks up and - voila! - he's a robot! Of course he is. A giant, Japanese-style, Transforming Mecha. He just becomes enormous for some reason. Terrifying. Then he sings/blasts soundwaves out, kills all the bad guys, turns into a spaceship, sucks up the kids and flies away.

O_____O

*Brain explodes*

I would LOVE to hear them tackle this. I sort of love this movie. But it is bananas.

Also, I would love a bonus attachment where they talk about Captain EO, the Disney-attraction music video thing directed by George Lucas (that technically connects MJ to the Star Wars universe, thanks to Hooter, a.k.a. 'Max Rebo', being in both EO and Return of the Jedi). The whole thing is on Youtube now, so they could watch it easily. Doug Benson was in Captain EO too - he should be guest for this Michael Jackson episode!

• Like 2

I think I remember the video games being pretty great, particularly the arcade version. The Sega Genesis one was fine, but completely different, as it was back in the day when they couldn't even hope to copy the arcade version at home, so they didn't even try.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this