🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ZZZ

favorite horror movie sequels that you know are not good

Almost every horror movie has a sequel, even the horror movies that don't deserve to be a stand alone film. Since we can all look forward to celebrating Re-animator's likely acceptance into the canon. I wanted to give a shout out to lesser loved sequels to great movies

Bride of Re-animator (not really a sequel but I still love this movie)

The Fly 2

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Scanners 2: the new order

Psycho 2

[REC 2] is a really interesting follow-up, because of how it re-contextualizes the first film to the extent of changing it from a zombie film to a possession story, which I think is one of the best moves a horror sequel could make. That said, the story is pretty weak, and you could almost cut out the subplot with the kids, which doesn't make a ton of sense anyway.

I really like the V/H/S series. The second film is much better than the first, but I think that Viral has a really cool wrap-around segment that almost works, and the parallel universe segment is pretty good--though the other two are quite terrible. It's sort of how lots of Pink Floyd fans enjoy The Division Bell, even though it's a really weak effort in their discography.

• Like 1

Nightmare on Elm Street 2-I saw it when I took a class about horror films during the segment about queer readings in horror (still mad we didn't expand it to two weeks and include Fright Night or Interview with the Vampire but w/e). It's not a good movie but I kinda love watching it.

• Like 1

I really like the V/H/S series. The second film is much better than the first, but I think that Viral has a really cool wrap-around segment that almost works, and the parallel universe segment is pretty good--though the other two are quite terrible. It's sort of how lots of Pink Floyd fans enjoy The Division Bell, even though it's a really weak effort in their discography.

I intensely disliked Viral, but VHS 2 is a legitimately great anthology horror film- I'm not sure it's Canon in any way- but it's worth checking out if you're a horror nut- really inventive ideas in there!

• Like 1

I intensely disliked Viral, but VHS 2 is a legitimately great anthology horror film- I'm not sure it's Canon in any way- but it's worth checking out if you're a horror nut- really inventive ideas in there!

The first two have some truly inventive segments--my personal favorite being "Ride in the Park"--but Viral is pretty horrific at times, and it's only out of love for those first couple entries that I even want to like this one. But yeah. It's mostly awful.

Nightmare on Elm Street 2-I saw it when I took a class about horror films during the segment about queer readings in horror (still mad we didn't expand it to two weeks and include Fright Night or Interview with the Vampire but w/e). It's not a good movie but I kinda love watching it.

I love Nightmare 2 and I will always defend that movie you're right about it not being great but at least they were trying for something interesting and it probably passes that test devin tried to institute however many episodes ago about a movie only needing three great moments to be considered canon.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

how dare you imply this isnt really good!

i dont know how to answer this question as i really dont believe in the idea of "guilty pleasures" or anything like it. I think if you enjoy a movie you can find a way to stick up for it. I guess i enjoy Jason X more than most people - its not serious at all and its twice as good as part 5, 7, or 8

how dare you imply this isnt really good!

i dont know how to answer this question as i really dont believe in the idea of "guilty pleasures" or anything like it. I think if you enjoy a movie you can find a way to stick up for it. I guess i enjoy Jason X more than most people - its not serious at all and its

I don't believe in guilty pleasures either. I unabashedly love TCM 2 and will watch it knowing full well that my film friends turn their nose up at it. I meant " not good" in the sense that its probably not general canon. I agree the first 45 minutes of Jason X is kick ass but then it kind of peters out for me. This is probably blasphemous but I've never been a big fan of the Friday movies.

I don't believe in guilty pleasures either. I unabashedly love TCM 2 and will watch it knowing full well that my film friends turn their nose up at it. I meant " not good" in the sense that its probably not general canon. I agree the first 45 minutes of Jason X is kick ass but then it kind of peters out for me. This is probably blasphemous but I've never been a big fan of the Friday movies.

plenty of film people still turn their noses from horror. no way around it.

i dont even think Friday the 13th fans would call you blasphemous for not liking those movies. Only part 6 comes even close to being a great movie and the funnt thing is that - as weird as some of the places theyve tried to take those movies - 6 is basically the generic ideal of a Jason movie

• Like 1

The Fly 2

Both the original Fly and the remake got sequels, so which one?

[REC 2] is a really interesting follow-up, because of how it re-contextualizes the first film to the extent of changing it from a zombie film to a possession story, which I think is one of the best moves a horror sequel could make.

That re-contextualization happens at the end of the first [REC]. I haven't seen any of the sequels.

I don't watch that many horror sequels. I did watch Insidious Chapter 2 recently, and it's just ok. Cube Zero is at least better than Cube 2, but I wouldn't even say I like it that much. Exorcist 3 isn't a bad movie I consider good, it's a good movie which simply isn't as good as the first (I haven't seen #2 and only know it by reputation). Lucky McKee's The Woman is technically a sequel to a previous Jack Ketchum adaptation titled Offspring from Andrew van den Houten, but it's hardly ever discussed except as being a predecessor to McKee's superior sequel and sharing Pollyanna McIntosh as The Woman. I can't even say I enjoy The Woman all that much, as I'm not really into pushing the extremes like that, but I suppose it's a well made example of that type. The Silence of the Lambs is also better known than Manhunter, but it's arguable as a sequel since there are no actors returning in the same roles (a couple do play different minor ones) and Manhunter isn't really a horror film.

Oddly enough, the only Friday the 13th film I've seen is Jason Takes Manhattan. I don't care for it, which could be partly responsible for me not seeing any of the others.

I'm a sucker for Land Of The Dead. It's over-the-top and the symbolism totally blatant (a skyscraper to represent a hyrarchical society? GET IT?!?). Overall, I can't help but simply find it charming. Especially when John Leguziamo and Dennis Hopper feel each other out at the top of the tower ( talk about queer subtext, man). Also, I enjoy that the zombies are able to learn, which is a concept that hasn't really been explored... And I honestly think the ending is kind of poetic.

• Like 1

Both the original Fly and the remake got sequels, so which one?

That re-contextualization happens at the end of the first [REC]. I haven't seen any of the sequels.

I don't watch that many horror sequels. I did watch Insidious Chapter 2 recently, and it's just ok. Cube Zero is at least better than Cube 2, but I wouldn't even say I like it that much. Exorcist 3 isn't a bad movie I consider good, it's a good movie which simply isn't as good as the first (I haven't seen #2 and only know it by reputation). Lucky McKee's The Woman is technically a sequel to a previous Jack Ketchum adaptation titled Offspring from Andrew van den Houten, but it's hardly ever discussed except as being a predecessor to McKee's superior sequel and sharing Pollyanna McIntosh as The Woman. I can't even say I enjoy The Woman all that much, as I'm not really into pushing the extremes like that, but I suppose it's a well made example of that type. The Silence of the Lambs is also better known than Manhunter, but it's arguable as a sequel since there are no actors returning in the same roles (a couple do play different minor ones) and Manhunter isn't really a horror film.

Oddly enough, the only Friday the 13th film I've seen is Jason Takes Manhattan. I don't care for it, which could be partly responsible for me not seeing any of the others.

The remake fly 2 with eric stoltz I know the original has a sequel but from what I understand it's hard to get a hold of and not very good any way. I disagree with you completely on cube 2 as it is a thoroughly enjoyable movie. I enjoy it mostly for its WTF value but I think that still counts. Cube zero or whatever the third one is called is a pretty decent return to gory practical effects.

Fans of the Friday the 13th franchise seems to hate both part 5 and ...Goes to Hell because in both movies it is somehow "not really Jason" in one way or another, but I think those are my two favorites of the series. I also really liked the reboot, which a lot of horror fans their noses up at. Same with the Chainsaw Massacre reboot. I really liked it.

I'm not crazy for the Friday remake but thumbs up for My Bloody Valentine 3D.

I've legit enjoyed Halloween 3 my entire life and was shocked to learn that it was not only considered a mar upon the franchise (understandable) but a bad movie in its own right. I love the atmosphere of it; the whole supernatural cultist angle is very reminiscent of 70s horror and especially European horror. A vast conspiracy to sacrifice children with masks full of insects and snakes is incredibly evil and interesting! Much more than another iteration of the unstoppable slasher (much as I love Myers et al). The investigation of the two leads to uncover this mystery works so much better than Donald Pleasance sweating, furrowing his brow, and saying "We have to stop him".

Plus that Silver Shamrock jingle is truly the earworm of nightmares.

(*and yes, I know the original intent behind this was to create a separate, non-Michael franchise. Which they could have solved by simply calling it Season Of The Witch.)

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers is far from perfect, but I really enjoy what they do with Angela Baker's character even if I don't necessarily like the actress they chose to portray her. The slasher is the main character with an entire warped philosophy fueling her. Really a one of a kind personality.

Sleep away camp 2 is valid. I started the topic so people could throw out names of movies that they love despite the flaws. I think people are coming around on Halloween 3. Genre fans get so up in arms when film makers try to make something different but Season of The Witch really holds its own and has definitely aged well.

Jeepers Creepers 2 and Jaws 2 + Jaws the revenge are also some of my favorite.

Sign in to follow this