🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cronopio

Films Directed by Women

Oh, certainly not. Off the top of my head, Spielberg's been up three/four/five? times (Temple of Doom, E.T/Close Encounters, Jurassic Park twice), Ridley Scott twice (Alien, Blade Runner), and Billy Wilder (EDIT: thrice!) (Double Indemnity, Some Like it Hot, The Lost Weekend).

EDIT: Also De Palma twice (Mission: Impossible and Blow Out) Coppola twice (Godfather Trilogy, Apocalypse Now), Tim Burton twice (Batman, Ed Wood), and John Carpenter twice (The Thing, They Live). Oh, and Scorsese twice (Goodfellas, Last Temptation of Christ).

Oops. Clearly I need to go through the back episodes a couple times.

Lots of people are recommending movies they like, but may be a bit too niche. Maybe something from Nora Ephron? She basically became THE representative of a sub-genre very popular with audiences if not self-described cinephiles. Admittedly, some of her most beloved work was writing rather than directing.

Nora Ephron deserves a lot of props as a writer. She also wrote "When Harry Met Sally" which deserves Canon consideration.

But the movies she directed just aren't that level for me. You could make a tenuous argument for Sleepless in Seattle / You've Got Mail, but those are movies *very* much of their time.

Sarah Polley's work might be a bit too new for consideration, but "Away From Her" and "Stories We Tell" are both Canon-contenders. I kinda hate that she is always overlooked (especially in favor of Sofia Coppola).

Lots of people saying The Matrix but I maintain the Wachowski's masterpiece is Bound.

I would also go to bat for A New Leaf.

I'd throw in Amy Heckerling's I Could Never Be Your Woman in addition to Clueless. Because of some kind of studio politicking it ended up going straight to DVD and pretty much no one saw it but it's an overlooked classic. Michelle Pfeiffer, Paul Rudd, and Atonement-era Soairse Ronan all give fantastic fast-and-funny performances. The film itself exhibits a charm and self-awareness that give it tones of a sunnier more oceanic 30 Rock.

I'd throw in Amy Heckerling's I Could Never Be Your Woman in addition to Clueless. Because of some kind of studio politicking it ended up going straight to DVD and pretty much no one saw it but it's an overlooked classic. Michelle Pfeiffer, Paul Rudd, and Atonement-era Soairse Ronan all give fantastic fast-and-funny performances. The film itself exhibits a charm and self-awareness that give it tones of a sunnier more oceanic 30 Rock.

While I really enjoyed this movie, it feels a little slight for a Canon submission. It'd be an easy yes for a list of overlooked comedies, directed by women or directed by anyone, but I don't know that it brings anything particularly special to the table (other than maybe being about an older woman and parenthood).