🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
nickperkins

Homework: Stand by Me (1986)

Available for digital rental. My DVR says I can record it from a channel called Ovation, so I guess there's that. I don't think I've ever seen this entire movie in one sitting before, this will be a good one to revisit in its entirety.

This is one of those films that was in heavy rotation growing up. Stephen King writes really good guys hanging out with guys stories, and this is his strongest in that regard. As a coming-of-age story, it's like nothing else. I love this film. I love River Phoenix in it. It mirrors many of my own experiences growing up in a faceless town with guys you couldn't imagine not being with forever. I don't know if this is Rob Reiner's best film--This Is Spinal Tap and When Harry Met Sally... deserve their day in court--but damn is it a solid contender.

I like this movie and I tend to watch it a lot but I strangely feel no anticipation for this episode. I'm kind of craving something a little more obscure.

Stand By Me is definitely better than Goonies.

When I was a kid, I watched this some Sunday afternoon back when they still made absurd edits to films shown on TV for sensitive audiences ("Screw you, melon farmer!"). In the middle there's a story about a pie eating contest and a fat kid who bullies called "Lard Ass". At one point, the whole crowd is watching him eat pies, all of them shouting "Lard Ass! Lard Ass!". This whole part of the movie was edited to avoid saying "ass", and so there was a solid 20 seconds of this crowd, their chanting hastily clipped and rendered weirdly rhythmic and hypnotic -- "LA LA LARD LAR LAR LARD LARD LA LA". It was the funniest thing ever, and it still gives me a laugh even though I haven't seen this movie in almost 30 years.

• Like 1

I'm just glad we getting back to the Canon's true wheelhouse: movies that feature trains.

• Like 1

I've posted a few times about my disagreement with gender classification of movies. This week I was thinking of possibly conceding on "Stand By Me" as being a so-called "boy film". Then again remembering how some of the actors were thought of at the time (or soon after)...

c59664081c77fdf37d8e2c2a4b05ca02.jpg

101109msmo148.jpg

Sign in to follow this