🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JosephGreen

Herschell Gordon Lewis Movie

Maybe a versus of Blood Feast versus 2000 Maniacs, or maybe just a single one. I know they're not GOOD movies, but one of them belongs in the canon I believe; A) he did gore in a way that no one ever had before, and sort of broke ground for future, grimier movies, B ) I think it would be interesting to discuss whether a movie that is so clearly exploitation can be in the canon. Both these movies really force the question: are movies works of art, or are they commercial products?

Also I'm pretty sure both of these are watchable on youtube.

Wizard of Gore! I love HGL. I think this kind of sleaze may be a little too far off the beaten path for the podcast, though I'd love to hear it addressed at some point. I acknowledge that there was a Cannibal Holocaust episode, but that film is a total bummer. Herschell Gordon Lewis is fun, in the same way that Ed Wood and other z-grade exploitation junk were capable of. It's also fascinating to see how audience tastes and morality with regards to onscreen violence has changed over the years.

This may not be one of the first that comes to mind, but The Gore Gore Girls has always been my favorite.

That's a tough one. 2000 Maniacs is without a doubt my favorite of Lewis's films, but Blood Feast is probably more influential. In my opinion though Herschell Gordon Lewis films, while a lot of fun, don't really have what it takes for the Canon. I wouldn't call any of his films well-made and there were other movies that may have came out later, but were more influential for low-budget exploitation movies.

Don't get me wrong, I think doing an episode on Herschell Gordon Lewis would be fun, but if we're going to consider his films for the Canon then we need to take up Amy's suggestion about considering Plan 9 from Outer Space as well.

Sign in to follow this