🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 6.2 — Sketches: Day 2

@Rutabaga - I thought part of the sketch challenge was for the contestants to show their writing ability. Since sketch differs from improv by virtue of being written (among other things), I thought it was important that each podcast write and perform their own material. Granted, I did like F+'s ability to incorporate their original show conceit within the sketch challenge, but I understand JW's point, which is one that Seth brought up as a judge, that perhaps the F+ could have done more original writing while still using the Yahoo! Answers setup.
Let me give a real world example: At the LA UCB, Casey Wilson, June Diane Raphael and friends do a staged reading/reenactment of scenes from the Real Housewives reality shows. I'm sure they have to write an intro, perhaps transitonal interstitials, or other pre-written stuff, but for the most part, they're taking pre-existing material and performing them in order to spotlight its ridiculousness, much like the F+ does with internet miscellany they find. That doesn't necessarily make it a sketch show - nor does it make it any less funny. Point being, can it be a sketch if you're just reading internet comments? I think F+ skirted that line, but it was a good submission regardless. Who knows, maybe they DID write all the questions and answers and just presented it in their style, and we're arguing a moot point. That would be even more impressive I think.

@Q. I completely agree with your example being analogous here. To me, what F+ did was definitely “sketchy” enough to be considered one. I thought their submission was pretty much perfect except for the one critique I made earlier. I could even see the sketch being a recurring thing as commercials for different question sites or forums. But, I think it is important that the writing goes into the sales pitch part of the commercial, not the content of the site.
What is sort of funny is we are both criticizing the same part of the sketch. The answers to the questions weren’t particularly funny. I just think the best fix for that would be to find better answers, not write them themselves. Not because that is a particularly bad idea for everyone, it just doesn’t showcase F+’s actual talent.

I felt weirdly really proud of the F+ for their sketch. I really like the "Wu tang aesthetic" of the podcast, but it was great to see them come through with something so polished...would actually be a really great addition to the actual show, if a lot more work.

Totally Laime I think was deservedly picked on...I think it's a good show, and I couldn't see it actually being cut for the poor sketch...they can take a little bottom three time safely I think. All the shows are getting closer together in consistent quality, so cuts are going to be rough.

Ironically, though I didn't laugh at the TL sketch while it was in progress, 8 hours later thinking about the concept actually makes me giggle...kind of bummed they didn't roll with the Riddler comment for some Batman synchronicity.

I'm also in favor of the fort getting cut. They have great production, but none of their sketches have really worked for me, maybe just not my sensibility, but that would be my pick.

the judges seemed a little harsh on the submittals today...i thought they were all pretty good...the private eye one went a little too long and dark, but the beginning had me laughing

Think this looks the first challenge of a high quality where at least one of the bottom three has done well, Totally Laime and the Fort would look like the two battling it out for me.

Just a little side-note on Left handed radio, but did anyone else find the setup very similar to the Fort's previous submission. At the start of the sketch I just hear Marc Maron's voice saying I know where this sketch is going. Mind you, some of their setups, particularly the use of the Batman Ringtone were well executed and did illicit a chuckle out of me.

Date with Batman did have a similar setup to Date with Medusa. I think the advantage was, the writing was sharper, it was a lot quicker, and Batman has a few more points of reference than Medusa (who only really has like three things people generally think of). Interesting to see a similar premise with a different execution though.

Also, the fact that this wasn't a first date with Bruce Wayne let them really skip straight to the absurdity of the situation-- no need for introductions. I wonder if the fort had taken that direction with the Medusa sketch-- the relationship of someone who continues to date Medusa despite the snakes if it would of been less predictable or more interesting.

What is the deal with all of these sketches? Why are these podcasts contestants doing sketches? It's all very lame.

Sign in to follow this