🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
lucyd1999

The Edge of Seventeen (2016)

.............you could literally say that about any teen movie. "Dope" certainly didn't reflect my teen years but that doesn't negate the fact that it's a teen movie.

I beg to differ. I'd say a healthy majority of teen movies tend to feature a pretty wide array of characters to frame the overall varied experience. Dope included. But think anything John Hughes, Dazed & confused, Can't hardly wait, american pie, 10 things i hate about you, Mean girls, fast times at ridgemont high, Superbad, Weird Science, etc. All the big "teen" movies are about that conflict of kids coming to terms with their differences all the while facing the same challenges in different ways.

This is about one particularly extreme experience... Which isn't wrong. But it barely makes it the hit teen comedy they pushed it as. It's closer to Blue Jasmine than it is to being a teen movie. Can anyone appreciate the Breakfast Club at 30 or 40? Sure. We can all see ourselves at that age in that movie. But I bet teenagers today, who weren't even born when it came out, can totally get it as well. I just think it does matter if a teen movie doesn't even land with its key demographic. Whether or not its a good film on its own merits.

Aaaaand i'll leave it at that. Glad you liked this movie. I did as well and don't think it comes close to deserving the HDTGM treatment. This is more of a critical, semantic nitpick is all.

Sign in to follow this