🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JonathanVik

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017)

175 million budget and it only made 15.4 million opening weekend in the US and has a 26% on RT. It's a medieval epic no one wanted or asked for. The studio wanted this to start a six film franchise with the possibility of spinoffs. Like Gods of Egypt, it's a disaster in every way. A perfect choice for the show I think.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 1

I have to wonder what the studio was thinking in giving this movie almost a 200 million dollar budget, especially when the last time Guy Ritchie had a budget near that size with the second Sherlock Holmes film, it had an established lead actor, a successful prior film in the series, and was released at a less crowded time for films in December. By releasing this a week after Guardians 2 came out and a week before the next Aliens movie comes out, this thing was destined to fail. Add to the fact that they were planning on this being a six film series is more mind boggling for giving this such a huge budget, with one review I read saying that it realistically should have had a budget of 60-80 million so it had a better chance of proving if a series could work and if it couldn't then it would be a smaller hit to the studio, which now looks to lose around 150 million with this Hindenburg of a box office bomb.

Just looking at the trailers and reading some review articles, it looks like they learned all the wrong lessons from Game of Thrones.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this