🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

187 (1997)

All around insane film written by former teacher, who claimed that 90% of it was based on reality. To that I say, I really hope that he didnt base the below scene on personal experiences because I feel like those are questionable teaching methods to say the least. 

I remember this coming at the tail end of the "teacher goes into troubled inner city school and changes it" genre boom in the 90s that really lifted off with movies like Dangerous Minds and to some extent The Substitute. The one interesting thing about this movie is that there really isn't a sunny side to this movie outside of the couple students who are able to graduate, Sam Jackson's character is basically done with the world and teaching in general after being stabbed at his last job, the gangbangers don't learn anything, and a bunch of people die for no real reason.

I was going to say that this movie was a hybrid of Dangerous Minds and The Substitute, but with a healthy dose of Rambo: First Blood for good measure. It really is a bummer of an ending especially when you consider that this was written by a teacher and this movie is his pent up frustration being acted out on film. 

Sign in to follow this