🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Themovieguy12345

Anime movies

This is a wormhole that probably won't yeild much hilarity if Paul isn't a fan of animation (as he claimed sarcastically i think in the Smurfs episode) or if nobody else in the gang is a fan of anime.

It's tough to lampoon animation in general, especially so when the animation is from a wildly different culture meant to appeal to a specific subset of people. If none of the guys in the gang fancy themselves as anime fans, then they might be too disinterested to fashion any opinions beyond "Well, its Japanese. Case closed."

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I think mocking animated films like Delgo (pure pap, made with the cynicism of two dozen studio executives imitating what they thought made films like Shrek successful and failing) is a different beast from mocking anime. You could skewer the hell out of successful franchises like Naruto or genre classics like Akira simply because of how outlandish they are, but you could also find the most disgusting, sexually deviant examples of anime merely to make the podcasters uncomfortable. There's just such different standards of what constitutes a logical narrative and a quality movie between anime and an American live-action film that you're just begging to start flame wars merely by choosing one. It would almost be like lampooning a comic book or something; it just wouldn't fit this particular podcast.

Sign in to follow this