Sign in to follow this  
sycasey 2.0

Spool Party: House Party

Kid or Play?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Kid or Play?

• Kid
    • Play

Amy & Paul raise the roof for 1990’s Kid N’ Play comedy smash House Party! They, listen to the film’s all-timer rap battle, look at how the Simpsons was influenced by hip-hop culture, and talk to the film’s writer and director Reginald Hudlin, and star Christopher “Kid” Reid. (This episode originally aired live on YouTube as part of Unspooled’s “Spool Party” series.)

Next week get ready for the 1957 war epic “The Bridge On The River Kwai”! Follow us on Twitter @Unspooled, get more info at unspooledpod.com and don’t forget to rate, review & subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts. Check out the rest of our Spool Parties live on youtube.com/earwolf. Photo credit: Kim Troxall

Not sure what to say about this one. I remembered seeing this as a kid, and watching it again this week found it pretty enjoyable still. Certainly not something I'd consider for an all-time list like the AFI (though I know, that's not the point of this episode).

Yea same, it's been ages since I watched this, and didn't rewatch it this week. The pod episode was fun to listen to though, but I sort of miss a serious discussion that makes me think. Hope when we run out of AFI movies, Paul & Amy can find some way to keep going with "great" movies, not just cool ones to revisit.

Love this movie and loved the episode, but surprised Amy didn't remark at all on the sexist language (granted it's the bad guys, but "I smell p---y" is cringey) and, worse, the homophobia in the prison rap (about dropping the soap). Seems like similarly dated intolerance has earned a lot more commentary when the movies don't hold such a special place in her heart.

Sign in to follow this