🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GrahamS.

Come To Daddy (2020)

This is not a “so-bad-it’s-good” pick. I LEGIT LOVE THIS FUCKED-UP MOVIE. It is a hoot. The acting is excellent, the cast is amazing, and the plot is such a genre-bending mixture of extreme violence, dysfunctional family dynamics and cringey interactions that it feels like a Coen Brothers Movie on PCP. As a bonus, it also gets funnier the further you get into it. It would be fun to hear the gang’s reactions.

The plot, as far as I dare to describe it: Elijah Wood has received a letter from his long-lost father (whom he hasn’t seen for over 30 years). Eager for reconciliation, he tracks his father (played by Pontypool’s Stephen McHattie) down in a remote cabin. His father does not seem pleased to see him, however, and this extremely strained reunion rapidly deteriorates within the first third of the film.

That’s the jumping-off point for a fucking wild roller coaster ride that somehow manages to stay on track through plot twists that would derail most movies. It’s not for everyone, but if you’re attuned to it’s wavelength, it’s pretty unforgettable. I haven’t laughed so hard while cringing in a long time. And you will never view pens or BBQ forks the same way again.

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised by this as the trailer was a rare case today of not giving away the whole movie in two minutes. Wood is so very punchable in the first half of the movie and McHattie is great as the dad he's looking to reconnect to who for some reason has done a 180 on wanting Wood anywhere near him. Definitely some wince inducing moments in this but overall a great movie.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:47 AM, RyanSz said:

I was pleasantly surprised by this as the trailer was a rare case today of not giving away the whole movie in two minutes. Wood is so very punchable in the first half of the movie and McHattie is great as the dad he's looking to reconnect to who for some reason has done a 180 on wanting Wood anywhere near him. Definitely some wince inducing moments in this but overall a great movie.

I would agree that Wood’s character is WAY too weird and desperate in the first half, but also think it’s a really good performance. It gives the film some surprising emotional weight.

9 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

I would agree that Wood’s character is WAY too weird and desperate in the first half, but also think it’s a really good performance. It gives the film some surprising emotional weight.

It's definitely good but it also re-affirms my disdain for e-boys/influencers, it was also really well done in how his discussion about a choice he made regarding his well being was the impetus to push McHattie towards outright hatred given what is revealed about his past later on in the movie. It's a puzzle piece that makes it click so much better.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this