🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GrahamS.

This Should Be An Episode On its Own: The Judgement Night Soundtrack

I could try to describe this soundtrack, but here’s a link to an oral history. My only issue with this article is that the writer said De La Soul’s song had a bummer vibe when I think the exact opposite is true. Here’s the article:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/judgment-night-soundtrack-oral-history-1993-rap-rock-summit-722094/

Here’s a link to the album:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1qwrbuNLtDcuj2myhuESlh?si=zr3KUlNLQOuhoO03M-XyAQ

not every song may work for you but there’s some gold here. The Sir-Mix-A lot/Mudhoney song has a true HDTGM-style mystery wrapped in it because on the surface level it’s terrible and cheesy but there’s a possible subversion at play and they’re making it intentionally cheesy. I think you will be able to solve the mystery by the end!

I will also say every rapper seems genuinely tickled by this and gives it their all. Standout—for me—were the Cypress Hill/Sonic Youth Cyprus Hill/Pearl Jam, De La Soul/Teenage Fanclub pairings, but it’s all worth listening to a bit of each track (there are some that don’t work for me, but I still appreciated them). Also, I don’t know if you tell from my description, but this is a VERY 90s-sounding album.

i haven’t seen the movie. I’m kinda tempted now.

I just listened to the De La song again and I was right. This is a De La diss track that’s very funny if you listen through the riffing at the end.

Holy shit, this is the preview for the movie. I would never in a million years have put this movie and this soundtrack together.

I used to have that cd. It was a pretty big deal when it came out, the blending of rap with metal and not in a lame Limp Bizkit sort of way was actually somewhat innovative. Sonic Youth had done it a few times (Chuck D is on their album Goo). Don't think I still have it. I sort of interest in metal, so I think I got rid of it. Though the non-metal stuff on there, I still like a lot (SY especially).

Sign in to follow this