🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
whkid

Magic Mike

MM is a humongous piece of shit. It's all over the place, the stylistic choices are bizarre, the dialogue is juvenile, and the dudes are bronzed and lubed up. It's a PERFECT choice. If you hated burlesque, you will really want to bookend your experience with this piece of crap. Enjoy.

• Like 1

ugh. just watched this - it is TERRIBLE. they really should do it, it is awkward enough to make everybody feel nice and uncomfortable.

MM is a humongous piece of shit. It's all over the place, the stylistic choices are bizarre, the dialogue is juvenile, and the dudes are bronzed and lubed up.

We are talking about MAGIC MIKE and not LIKE MIKE, right?

We are talking about MAGIC MIKE and not LIKE MIKE, right?

If you saw a version of Like Mike with bronzed and lubed up dudes, I'm turning you into the police.

• Like 1

the dialogue is juvenile

I'm not a fan of the movie*, but I'd say that with the kind of characters the movie focuses on, they probably would be juvenile in their discussions and behavior. They didn't exactly strike me as mature, educated people.

* I was expecting more as something of a Soderbergh fanboy. Part of my problem may have been that I was expecting something different, and also that it started to wear out its welcome far before the ending.

I was listening to the golden briefcase podcast. they talked about this film when it came out. I guess if you had gone to see it in the theater it was loaded with woman screaming thinking it was a stripper movie yet it really wasn't by the end. midway into the film woman got upset and walked out of the movie, I guess.

I found it really long to watch.

I was listening to the golden briefcase podcast. they talked about this film when it came out. I guess if you had gone to see it in the theater it was loaded with woman screaming thinking it was a stripper movie yet it really wasn't by the end. midway into the film woman got upset and walked out of the movie, I guess.

I found it really long to watch.

Yeah, the opening weekend crowd for this for us was mostly the asshole soccer mom "Sex and the City" crowd that only make an effort to come out for like one movie a year that were disappointed that it wasn't wall-to-wall balls to the wall the entire time. They're the same people that would talk about what pigs GUYS are if they're going to a movie just to see tits. I didn't see "Magic Mike" until it hit DVD, and I liked it quite a bit, but I would have hated seeing it in the theater those first couple of weeks. That type of crowd may actually be worse than their asshole kids that are being jackasses of themselves in whatever PG-13 horror flick is playing down the hall. If you haven't seen the film already, or if you're going to see it again soon, imagining that Matthew McConaughey doesn't even know that he's in a movie adds another layer of entertainment value. I could picture him doing this on weekends and not finding it unusual at all that a camera's following him around...

• Like 3

Yeah, the opening weekend crowd for this for us was mostly the asshole soccer mom "Sex and the City" crowd that only make an effort to come out for like one movie a year that were disappointed that it wasn't wall-to-wall balls to the wall the entire time. They're the same people that would talk about what pigs GUYS are if they're going to a movie just to see tits. I didn't see "Magic Mike" until it hit DVD, and I liked it quite a bit, but I would have hated seeing it in the theater those first couple of weeks. That type of crowd may actually be worse than their asshole kids that are being jackasses of themselves in whatever PG-13 horror flick is playing down the hall. If you haven't seen the film already, or if you're going to see it again soon, imagining that Matthew McConaughey doesn't even know that he's in a movie adds another layer of entertainment value. I could picture him doing this on weekends and not finding it unusual at all that a camera's following him around...

To be fair, there are 100,000+ more movies with gratuitous nudity of women than there are of men. I see this movie as a way of leveling the field so to say, but that means there are another 999,999 movies that need to be made that have dick slips and sheer jockstraps for there to be parity.

Dumpy looking dudes like Jason Seagal don't count either; that'd be like paying good money to go see Illeana Douglas do a nude scene. No thank you.

To be fair, there are 100,000+ more movies with gratuitous nudity of women than there are of men. I see this movie as a way of leveling the field so to say, but that means there are another 999,999 movies that need to be made that have dick slips and sheer jockstraps for there to be parity.

Dumpy looking dudes like Jason Seagal don't count either; that'd be like paying good money to go see Illeana Douglas do a nude scene. No thank you.

What's wrong with Illeana Douglas?

But yeah, that's illustrative of the MPAA's hypocrisy. "Female frontal nudity? No problem, you've got an R! Male frontal nudity? NC-17!"* And since Hollywood dreads the NC-17, it's thus okay to show naked women everywhere while men are only allowed to get naked as a joke. I'd write more, but this is getting off-topic as it is.

* The exception seems to be if it's in a sexual context or not for men. In other words, erections are NC-17, despite pretty much every male above the age of 12 knowing what they look like.

• Like 1

What's wrong with Illeana Douglas?

Besides the face and the body and hands and the hair and the feet? Nothing at all.

But yeah, that's illustrative of the MPAA's hypocrisy. "Female frontal nudity? No problem, you've got an R! Male frontal nudity? NC-17!"* And since Hollywood dreads the NC-17, it's thus okay to show naked women everywhere while men are only allowed to get naked as a joke. I'd write more, but this is getting off-topic as it is.

I wouldn't put all of it at the hands of the MPAA, though they certainly deserve some of it. I think it also stems from there not being enough women directors in Hollywood. It's a boys club to be sure. And most of those boys are white. So, you have the content creators (white males) giving their films to the censorship board (white males) to review. It's a feedback loop; that's why you have the lingering male gaze in damn near all movies and negative stereotypes of minorities.

I think there are less than a handful of women who can get their projects done. I can only think of Shonda Rimes and Katheryn Bigelow. There are thousands of capable black female and white female writers/directors, but they don't get the nod from the establishment.

They're the same people that would talk about what pigs GUYS are if they're going to a movie just to see tits. I didn't see "Magic Mike" until it hit DVD,

I hear ya, nothing better then going to see a movie and kids have already got lazer pointers out at the screen, cell phones on, and then that guy who thinks he's funny who talks out loud at the trailers, thinks he's a lost member of mystery theater science 3000 or something around those lines. but no one's taken the time to tell him DUDE YOUR NOT FUNNY! Thank you good sir for reminding me why I hate seeing movies in theaters.

• Like 1