Jump to content


Episode 125 — LIVE from Vancouver 2013 II


15 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

    Administrator

  • Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

The charming Ron Funches returns to countdown some charts with Ku-Ku & Wie-Wie in another LIVE episode from Vancouver, British Columbia! We hear about the time Howard got kicked in the head by a stripper, one of Kulap’s first acting class experiences, and Ron’s feelings on the current acting class he’s taking while they countdown the Top 5 Greatest Movie Robots. Also, Ron shares how hilarious his son is as he plays a game of Chart Roulette!

#2 pepperjack

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

two terminators in the top 5 robots? Seems kinda lazy...

#3 Todd Mason

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

I was thinking similarly as it played...wouldn't it be relatively hard to find too many Snoop Dogg songs less about marijuana than "Gin and Juice"?

#4 Todd Mason

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Rimbaud was actually pronounced "Rambo" (roughly, in that Gallic way). That's why David Morell named the moody (to say the least) character in FIRST BLOOD the novel "Rambo," in fact.

It's easier to write a bad poem than a bad joke, perhaps (many are both, some intentionally)...but harder to write an acceptable poem or better than a comparable joke...

#5 pepperjack

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

well, Miley Cyrus pronounces it Rim-beau...

#6 Kristopher Mills

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Wow That was trainwreck esque


#7 VampiresVampiresVampires

    Poet Laureate of the West

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationLand Virginnie

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

The bad news is: I missed about half of what was going on, because I listened to this in my car (audio quality). The good news is: I get to listen to this again to catch what I missed. It's like two Whooches in one day.

#8 bigicecream

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I saw Ron Funches open for John Mulaney recently and he was fantastic. I likely would've loved this episode if I could understand what anyone was saying. The audio quality was just too poor for me to bother listening for more than 15 minutes :(

Hope the next live show has superior audio quality.

#9 Bruce Reid Robinson II

    No good, two-bit, hippy womanizer

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationAny farm in Oregon

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

I have a question about the audio, maybe one of the engineers could help but I don't want to sound like I'm complaining.

These aren't sound-board recordings are they? I've had this question about several of the live tapings. I mean these venues have boards that should be available to the comedians? You guys have your engineers come out with you correct? (I know Ku handled cues on one taping) Why not do a matrix of these crowd recordings with your SBD for the live shows? I know its extra work but I think it would give the feeling of a comedy album. I would certainly be willing to cough up the special episode fee for your time.

I know you guys work hard on getting the sound right because of the VPNs and the help Brett has been giving in a different thread. Just wanted to know your thoughts on the matter. :)
Me IRL

"My name is Bruce. I fuck with viruses. I pull potatahs from the earth with my bare man hands. My beanie and five o clock shadow make me look like a longshoreman. And I can chill harder than a motherfucker."

#10 myatlanticsun

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationParsippany, NJ

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

View Postbigicecream, on 24 April 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

I saw Ron Funches open for John Mulaney recently and he was fantastic.


I saw them at Caroline's in New York, his material was great. And Mulaney killed, obviously.

#11 Kickpuncher

    Sentient Meat

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

I listened with earbuds (not we're buds), so I didn't have a big issue with the sound quality, but the whole feel of the live shows is just a little off. Still a really fun episode due to some classic Wieticisms and Funches' infectious silliness.

I think everyone could benefit from the self-actualization philosophy of Bob-Marley-by-way-of-Howard-Kremer - "Fuck this, I'm [insert name here]!"

#12 Duke Silver

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Wow, I wondered why they even bothered releasing the live Reggie Watts ep and now this... It sounds like someone in the audience is recording on their phones or something.

#13 Brett Morris

    Earwolf Engineer

  • Administrators
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostBruce Reid Robinson II, on 24 April 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

I have a question about the audio, maybe one of the engineers could help but I don't want to sound like I'm complaining.

These aren't sound-board recordings are they? I've had this question about several of the live tapings. I mean these venues have boards that should be available to the comedians? You guys have your engineers come out with you correct? (I know Ku handled cues on one taping) Why not do a matrix of these crowd recordings with your SBD for the live shows? I know its extra work but I think it would give the feeling of a comedy album. I would certainly be willing to cough up the special episode fee for your time.

I know you guys work hard on getting the sound right because of the VPNs and the help Brett has been giving in a different thread. Just wanted to know your thoughts on the matter. :)

For these remote shows it is often times NOT one of us doing the recording. In this case the sound guy used some handheld device and basically just put it in the room. But often times the sound people are able to do what I request and record from the board (I always ask for an audience mic as well so you can hear the crowd). You never really know what you're going to get back though. I give the specs of what we need, but every venue is different and some live sound guys are more prepared than others.

Any time we ourselves go out and record these live shows, we always have a direct feed from the mics as well as the crowd. I wouldn't say the audio quality of this show is the norm around here.

I think headphones are definitely needed for this one. Sorry about that, I did what I could given the source audio.
i'm lead audio engineer at earwolf.

please check out my band scattered suns.

find me on twitter @brettsbrain.

#14 VampiresVampiresVampires

    Poet Laureate of the West

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationLand Virginnie

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostBrett Morris, on 24 April 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

I think headphones are definitely needed for this one. Sorry about that, I did what I could given the source audio.


Thanks. Any Who Charted? Is a good Who Charted? (Minus one of them. You know who you are.)

#15 Bruce Reid Robinson II

    No good, two-bit, hippy womanizer

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationAny farm in Oregon

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

View PostBrett Morris, on 24 April 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

For these remote shows it is often times NOT one of us doing the recording. In this case the sound guy used some handheld device and basically just put it in the room. But often times the sound people are able to do what I request and record from the board (I always ask for an audience mic as well so you can hear the crowd). You never really know what you're going to get back though. I give the specs of what we need, but every venue is different and some live sound guys are more prepared than others.

Any time we ourselves go out and record these live shows, we always have a direct feed from the mics as well as the crowd. I wouldn't say the audio quality of this show is the norm around here.

I think headphones are definitely needed for this one. Sorry about that, I did what I could given the source audio.


Thanks Brett! I could tell there was some variation even on the live recordings from last years CBB summer run and I figured you had the scoop. It sucks that you can't depend on the sound guys at these venues to be consistant. Also, props on using a nice mix of crowd/SBD for when you set things up yourself. "Sound guys" or engineers almost never get the credit they deserve because when they do their job well, you don't even know about it. It's only when someone does a less-than-stellar job that people can tell.

Moral of the story is get some nice headphones and pay your respects to the audio dudes.
Me IRL

"My name is Bruce. I fuck with viruses. I pull potatahs from the earth with my bare man hands. My beanie and five o clock shadow make me look like a longshoreman. And I can chill harder than a motherfucker."

#16 EarBear

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostBrett Morris, on 24 April 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Sorry about that, I did what I could given the source audio.


No need to apologize, you did a great job, Brett.