Jump to content


Episode 137 — Kroll Show


33 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

    Administrator

  • Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Is Kroll Show racist? Andrew Ti & Jen Wang discuss the diversity controversy regarding Girls, the lack of diversity in all sitcoms, and do their best to answer this caller’s question. Be sure to keep leaving us messages at (323) 389-RACE.

#2 president cage

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

If you are incensed about misogyny in Hip Hop then you are a racist.

#3 pistonjim

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

I laughed out loud at the "wolf dead" tag

#4 Shariq Torres

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

View Postpresident cage, on 25 April 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

If you are incensed about misogyny in Hip Hop then you are a racist.



If you are incensed about misogyny in Hip Hop to the exclusion of other misogynistic genres (heavy metal, anyone?) then, yeah, you are a racist.

#5 Shariq Torres

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

This was a great episode! Particularly telling about white showrunner shooting down Shonda Rimes's critique of her work. Alot of white feminists think that any stride made that benefits white, middle-to-upper class women is a stride for ALL women, when that is not really the case at all.

#6 president cage

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostShariq Torres, on 25 April 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:



If you are incensed about misogyny in Hip Hop to the exclusion of other misogynistic genres (heavy metal, anyone?) then, yeah, you are a racist.


Okay. I'm going to go check out all the Heavy Metal songs on the current Billboard Hot 100 chart for misogynistic lyrics. Hmm. Maybe if I time travel back to 1988...

#7 Shariq Torres

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

View Postpresident cage, on 25 April 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:


Okay. I'm going to go check out all the Heavy Metal songs on the current Billboard Hot 100 chart for misogynistic lyrics. Hmm. Maybe if I time travel back to 1988...


Well, if you view sexism in the same way you view racism, I'm sure you'll make up an excuse for why THOSE lyrics aren't problematic.

#8 president cage

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

I've become one of Shariq's strawmen. o no

#9 Hyde Parker

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

I sense a ploy to get someone with more credits to his name than an Asian-identity blog that updates every three weeks on the show.

#10 Sol Goldman

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

The Kroll Show is not racist.

#11 Kristopher Mills

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

Nick Kroll is super racist.
Jk guys jk

#12 Kristopher Mills

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

I didn't think Andrew would surpass the everyone is racist remark and ep. a few months back but this and yesterdays ep. have brought new levels of stupidity to the podcast.

#13 president cage

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I think you could have an interesting discussion about some of the Earwolf regulars (Kroll, John Daly, Gelman, Besser, Tompkins) and what they're doing when they impersonate people of color or do racially themed comedy, but this episode was not that discussion.

#14 big ups

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

I wasn't familiar with the Kroll Show before this episode. It took me all of 30 seconds to find a racist depiction of Mexicans, El Chupacabre. The show might be funny, but how could this be interpreted as anything other than racist???

#15 Kevin Irmiter

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

View Postbig ups, on 25 April 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

I wasn't familiar with the Kroll Show before this episode. It took me all of 30 seconds to find a racist depiction of Mexicans, El Chupacabre. The show might be funny, but how could this be interpreted as anything other than racist???


What makes you assume El Chupacabra is Mexican?

What makes the character racist? Are there any specific Mexican or Latino stereotypes within the character? Or is it because any time you do a silly character with an accent that could be taken to represent a minority, it is automatically racist?

I'm not saying this to be contrarian. I am genuinely asking for clarification.

#16 Shariq Torres

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostKevin Irmiter, on 25 April 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:


What makes you assume El Chupacabra is Mexican?

What makes the character racist? Are there any specific Mexican or Latino stereotypes within the character? Or is it because any time you do a silly character with an accent that could be taken to represent a minority, it is automatically racist?

I'm not saying this to be contrarian. I am genuinely asking for clarification.


He's a caricature of a Latino radio host. Just like Fabrize Fabrice is a caricature of a Latino gay man. The first time Kroll is on the Nerdist podcast he talks about this.

#17 Hyde Parker

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

Like 3/5's of Spanish-language media in the United States is presented by blonde hispanophones whiter than I am.

#18 Shariq Torres

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostHyde Parker, on 26 April 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Like 3/5's of Spanish-language media in the United States is presented by blonde hispanophones whiter than I am.


What is the legacy of colonialism and adhering to European standards of beauty, Alex.

#19 Shariq Torres

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostHyde Parker, on 26 April 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Like 3/5's of Spanish-language media in the United States is presented by blonde hispanophones whiter than I am.


Did you even listen to the Nerdist podcast in which Kroll talks about the creation of his characters? Nope.

#20 Hyde Parker

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostShariq Torres, on 26 April 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:


Did you even listen to the Nerdist podcast in which Kroll talks about the creation of his characters? Nope.

Nah, did he make a big deal about ridiculing Indios?