Episode 85: BOOGIE NIGHTS vs TWBB

122 replies to this topic

Poll: Which PTA masterpiece gets in? (342 member(s) have cast votes)

Which PTA masterpiece gets in?

1. BOOGIE NIGHTS (156 votes [45.61%])

Percentage of vote: 45.61%

2. THERE WILL BE BLOOD (186 votes [54.39%])

Percentage of vote: 54.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Susan*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

I enjoyed Boogie Nights when it was released, and loved the cast. I don't think it's an important movie and I don't get the argument that it had a big social impact. When this podcast talks about impact of movies, it's often more accurate when it comes to older movies. With more recent movies, maybe it's too hard for a critic to set aside his/her personal experiences.

I found it tough to watch There Will Be Blood the first time, and I can't say I enjoyed it, but I think it's a perfect movie. Even though I rarely like straight dramas.

#122 Threshold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

It's been mentioned before in this thread, but the Religion V Capitalism idea doesn't really work because it isn't really a fair fight within the context of the movie, and thematically they both represent the same ideas.
I read the ending as being a deeply personal revenge by Daniel Plainview and nothing else.
Also, his performance is so great, but sometimes deeply ridiculous, I was outright laughing at the absurdity in some moments. I think they were purposeful..?

Also, I read Roger Ebert's review where he was absolutely scathing about Plainview's relationship with his son, using him as a 'prop' and nothing else.
I think he does use him as a prop, like all shitty, egocentric parents; but I also do think he loves him, as Devin mentioned, during the baptism scene and all the small moments between the two of them.

#123 Chungking Espresso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:13 AM

What a difficult choice. Both are impressive pieces about important and culturally relevant 20th century industries, both are engrossing and easy to lose yourself in... I was thinking I'd like to watch them both back-to-back with Glengarry Glen Ross and The Social Network for a perfect piece of Americana.

That said, for me it's There Will Be Blood. The photography alone would be enough to tip it for me, but I also like the complete overwrought last scene, the dialogue-free first 10 or so minutes, and everything else in between. The way the film comments on capitalism, the relationship between the economy and the environment, the motivations for charity... it's a masterpiece. I like Boogie Nights, but TWBB gets my vote.