Episode 100 - Juno vs. Whiplash (w/ Franklin Leonard and Kate Hagen)

41 replies to this topic

Poll: Juno vs. Whiplash (101 member(s) have cast votes)

Which film becomes Canon-ized?

1. Juno (47 votes [46.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.53%

2. Whiplash (36 votes [35.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.64%

3. Neither! (18 votes [17.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 PreciousRoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

Juno sits alongside Avatar as one of the most garbage movies I've ever seen. A story of a girl failing to get an abortion, giving her baby to a couple on craigslist, and then singing a shitty moldy peaches song with her boyfriend; I honest-to-blog just don't understand the praise at all.

#42 Muthsarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

View PostPreciousRoy, on 06 June 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Juno sits alongside Avatar as one of the most garbage movies I've ever seen. A story of a girl failing to get an abortion, giving her baby to a couple on craigslist, and then singing a shitty moldy peaches song with her boyfriend; I honest-to-blog just don't understand the praise at all.

Juno didn't "fail" to get an abortion. She chose not to, even though she initially chose to. Pro-choice means you accept the woman's decision, however she chooses. And yeah, she makes a rather impulsive, kinda-stupid choice to choose Vanessa and Mark via the Penny Saver ad, but it was Mark's decision to put the ad in such an...unorthodox source to begin with. Because he didn't really want anyone to bite. But Juno, also probably very much in doubt, and very likely also deeply ignorant of what she was doing, ending up biting on the almost "ironic" ad. Her father, her step-mother, and, to some extent, Vanessa, all ended up trying to educate her on the full ramifications of what she was doing (without ever forcing her), even if Mark - who was never on-board with the adoption-thing - eventually bailed.

I don't think it's a film everyone has to understand. It's all about a teenage girl making a momentous decision at a time of her life when she isn't prepared to deal with it, and the people who care about her. As she confessed to her own father: "I don't know what kind of girl I am". She's still figuring it all out herself. The audience sees the events of the film mostly through her eyes. She's better off with Paulie, rather than being a mother. She's still a kid herself. She could have taken the route of getting an abortion and just trying to forget about the whole matter, but she chose to see it through, to a natural (if not the most traditional) conclusion: Vanessa raises the child as her own, Juno goes back to being a kid, a little older and much wiser. But still a kid. Hence why she and Paulie are still a good pairing by the end. She remains the more emotionally-developed of the two, but she's just not ready to be a responsible adult (and not ready to be a mother). Paulie loves her, and she loves Paulie. Her father and stepmother are still watching over her. Vanessa (and her child) are still potentially in her life. That's the best thing for her at this point, whatever the future holds for her.