🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Collapse Into Now with Haley Joel Osment

Actor Haley Joel Osment joins Adam Scott Aukerman to discuss R.E.M.’s 15th and final studio album Collapse into Now. They talk about when Haley first heard of R.E.M., Haley’s first concert ever being the Up Tour three days before The Sixth Sense was released, and how Adam was almost in A.I. Artificial Intelligence. Plus, the Scotts talk about films that make them hungry in another episode of “I Love Films.”

Great ep!  Scott's Lake Havasu story was incredible.  They must have been doing something wrong with that boat, right?

If a boat immediately sinks, is it still a boat?

I liked what Adam said about Collapse being an "alternate universe greatest hits" - that's what I've always felt REM was doing.  At first I didn't like it, but once it became clear it was their last album ever, then it made sense.  They were just doing the stuff they liked.  They rewrote "Country Feedback" with Patti Smith, because if I'm not mistaken both Stipe and Buck have said that's one of their favorite REM songs. They had friends come in and join them a bit more.  They had quick rockers and pretty mandolin songs.  It was sort of a summation of their whole career.

Because of that, I respect it and even listening yesterday, I was quite into it... but also because of that, I don't have much connection to the record as an individual whole.  Who really likes Greatest Hits records?

My final album rankings:

1. Automatic For The People

2. Fables Of The Reconstruction

3. New Adventures In Hi-Fi

4. Murmur

5. Reckoning

6. Out Of Time

7. Document

8. Monster

9. Up

10. Lifes Rich Pageant

11. Collapse Into Now

12. Reveal

13. Accelerate

14. Green

15. Around The Sun

Now to begin the impossible task of making a top-10 list of my favorite REM songs :)

On 8/17/2018 at 5:40 PM, LORDWIZARD said:

Haha that's amazing, and I love that he came back months later to plug Parks & Rec.  Perfection. He also says on his profile that Up is his favorite REM album.

Have you guys sent this to Adam and Scott on twitter?  

9 hours ago, Peter Destructo said:

I just want to say, I love whiskeyclone.net. (U Dissecting Beck On My Tape Deck?)

Thanks!  It runs itself at this point but I'm pretty proud of it

They asked if there were other songs that had an additional songwriter. The only one I know of is "Old Man Kensey," written by Jeremy Ayers of Athens, GA, along with B/B/M/S.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:16 AM, Earl J. Waggedorn said:

They asked if there were other songs that had an additional songwriter. The only one I know of is "Old Man Kensey," written by Jeremy Ayers of Athens, GA, along with B/B/M/S.

Michael's sister, Lynda Stipend, is credited on 'Bandwagon'

I never really got into this album, and I think part of the problem is that Stipe's voice is pretty much shot by this point in their career.

Is there ANY WAY to see their Hansa performance of Discoverer??? It's the only video in the history of the world that isn't on youtube or apparently any corner of the internet. 

Sign in to follow this