Episode 4 — Attention
Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:00 PM
Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:58 AM
Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:26 AM
I know you guys stated from the get go that the podcast would only be 30 mins but honestly I wish it would be more like an hour. I think some of the topics you guys discuss need to be drawn out a little more and it seems like you are a little rushed because of the time crunch. I mean I could talk about the topic of Attention for about 3 hours and to slice it down into a half an hour wouldn't do it justice. Anyone else agree?
Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:12 PM
I am not Dad but could be one a few years down the road. I like the show anyway, it's interesting to hear what a challenge it is and plus you guys have a good honest communication.
A couple suggestions though-you could break the show's topics up into two part episodes or go ahead and take the hour so you don't feel rushed. Also I wonder if you will ever bring in any guest dads?
Anyway thanks for the enjoyoable, thoughtful listen. A tapestry of paradoxes is now in my vocabulary.
Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:56 PM
1) Jeff, you did not talk too much in the third episode. Stop being so hard on yourself.
2) I was listening to this while doing dishes and as my youngest daughter walked my I screamed "Gimmie your face!" She ran away screaming. Then I heard the rest of the point that story. I should have delayed a bit.
3) My wife and I are both stay at home writers (mostly because my wife is wildly successful at it and I am terrible jealous of her) and we ended up dividing up specific blocks for time with the kids. I have 5am-9am she has 9am-1pm, I have 1pm-3pm she has 3pm-5pm, we are together until 10pm, then she handles overnight. It has worked pretty well and we take off Wednesdays to spend the entire day together. I force myself to go to bed early so that I can wake up and be with them at 5 if they get up. I have a rule though that we don't turn on any lights until 6 so that they are calm and just hang with me.
4) I may be in the minority, but I am okay with the show staying at thirty minutes. I feel like if it goes longer that means Jeff is going to have to prep for it more and be even more stressed. Let's take it easy on the guy.
5) Oh! And my wife and I both use DropBox. We pay for that extra space per month too and keep everything there. You guys should get them as a sponsor for sure!
NOW GIMMIE YOUR FACE!!!!!!
Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:22 AM
And Barry Cohen, that picture is a little scary. lol
Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:04 AM
That said, after just shy of a year in a "real" job, I still miss SAHD-dom terribly. After 6 years of being the primary caregiver, it's still far, far easier for me to focus on my kids and family than on spreadsheets and work. It all just seems so unimportant in comparison.
On the subject of podcast length, I'm torn. I would probably listen to longer, more breathable episodes, but my subscribed podcast list is already overflowing with more content than I can possibly listen to in a given week. Maybe splitting bigger topics into two-part episodes is a workable compromise.
Love the show! Love Earwolf!