🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Don't get me wrong, I like the movie as well. I just think that it will come off as campy because it is so old now. There aren't many things from that time period that don't seem cheesy these days, regardless of how good they were back then.

But again, I agree that it was not, and still is not, a "bad" movie

I just watched this and I liked it more than I had expected to. It's not a bad movie, but I think that they definitely could do this movie. As a comedy, some of the jokes do work, but others just seem like odd choices (the whole thing about the father's movie); as a romance, it's quite flimsy and things develop really quickly and for almost no good reason (although I admit that Mark is a dreamboat); and as an action film things unfold in very bizarre ways.

I have been catching up on HDTGM and I was incredibly surprised that this movie has not been done yet. I will admit that I love it, because it is obviously amazing. However, this is not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. I notice some people mentioned the trace buster scene ("yo!"), LDP acting his heart and the invention of masturbation. But this movie is basically if The Transporter had a fever dream and started imagining weird shit.

Then theres also Mark Wahlberg 3 love interests, Mark Wahlberg breakdancing while shooting people and a fight on a chandelier in a video store.

Amazing, please do this movie!

This movie is so awesomely weird.

Awesome characters, including a young marky mark and a peak L Diamond P and China Chow. A very slick and stylized (not like hack snyder) directorial style at times, but add to that a weird poultry molestation scene, a neighborhood video store that terrorizes its clients that also appears to be located adjacent to a sheer rock cliff and moraine of some sort (like it popped out of the better off dead nightmare scene).The reintroduction of "screen wipes" to hollywood films. A character who is obsessed with masterbation. And a tim burton-esque portrail of suburban america. The list goes on and on.. but ultimately its tonnes of fun. This film was made in my hood, toronto... and if i recall had a hard time finding a distributor for a couple years.

I just saw this recently, and I registered specifically to post a request for the HDTGM crew to do this film. It's got it all: corny acting, bad writing, Marky Mark playing a hit man who is inexplicably named Melvin and who romances an underage girl (and the film treats it like it's super romantic and not at all creepy), cheesy action sequences (with a terrible accompanying score), and tone-deaf attempts at satirical humor that end up coming off as brazenly anti-Semitic, which are made even odder by the fact that the jokes are aimed squarely at characters played by two Jewish actors (Elliot Gould and Lainie Kazan). Add to this a phenomenally ridiculous final action set piece, and you have a film that seems tailor made for the podcast.

I just watched this and I have to agree with the prior comments, its an odd but pretty easy to watch ride. Break dance gun fighting, Lou Diamond Phillips performance, a video store with the meanest employee ever, lots of masturbating jokes, odd little comedy scenes like the kidnapped girl hopping through the house and the dog tearing the bag of body parts open at the same time. 

It's produced by John Woo and Wesley Snipes(?!?) and goes back and forth between action and comedy, but rarely does it do both at the same time and I think that is what makes it perfect for the podcasts, the abrupt tonal shifts which add to the ludicrous story taking place.

This film seems to have fallen off the radar both with HDTGM and the public in general, but I think it should get more attention for how crazy it is.