🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisLHarris

That's My Boy (2012)

That's My Boy is, to this day, the most awkward Adam Sandler movie I've seen in a theater. It seems that making an R-rated script gives Sandler the license to be more loud and obnoxious than any of the Real Housewives or Jersey Shores casts.

Add to that the initial plot of a student-teacher affair producing a kid is not the most outrageous thing in this movie (Incest scene, I'm talking to you), Sandler being out-funnied by Vanilla Ice and Todd Bridges, and you have a movie that will literally put you in a daze as it did me walking out of the theater. It does beg the question of HDTGM?

Yeah I remember there being some outrage over Sandler making light of pedophilia, incest, and child abuse. What's funny about this movie was that it got the best reviews out of any of his more recent movies, but it tanked at the box office showing that his drawing power is finally starting to suffer after crappy movie after crappy movie is released.

it tanked at the box office showing that his drawing power is finally starting to suffer after crappy movie after crappy movie is released.

I don't think his drawing power is necessarily decreasing (just a few months after this, "Hotel Transylvania" did quite well for itself), so much as it is that the segment of his fans that would most appreciate this movie couldn't buy a ticket without a legal guardian, all of whom knew better.

And yeah, the idea of pedophilia, child abuse, incest, and (near the climax, so SPOILERS, if you care) violence against women are the subject of jokes is pretty appalling. I suppose there are ways to make those subjects darkly funny, but Adam Sandler seemed to just think they were funny all on their own.

(PS: It depresses me to no end that the creator of "Happy Endings" is the credited writer on this.)

if Adam Sandler stayed in the realm of flicks for kids I believe he'd do really well....

This movie shows off everything I hate about Adam Sandler, he's sorta become the next Rob Schneider. ya know south park when they did the rip at Rob Schneider as a derp

his fans that would most appreciate this movie couldn't buy a ticket without a legal guardian, all of whom knew better.

Yup. He went for the hard-R and it cut out a huge section of his audience.

To be fair Hotel Transylvania worked because it was an animated movie featuring cute versions of movie monsters. Plus it wasn't a Happy Madison production, so he couldn't bog it down with his usual group of friends and costars.

Adam Sandler takes on pedophilia, child abuse, and tax evasion with the level of tact, nuance, and grace Adam Sandler is known for. I feel bad for Andy Samberg for being dragged into this mess of a movie. 

Sign in to follow this