🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
robinsbruce

Summer Movie League. Year 2?

So I got an email reminding me about my "studio." Are we doing this again? If so, I'm ready to win first again. :)

Summermovieleague.com. It's basically like a fantasy league for summer block busters. You make a "studio" and then a list of your top picks. The more money they make, the higher you place in the rankings. Last year we had a lot of people playing. I won first place, and my prize was a DVD copy of Jaws 4 autographed by the gang. It's good fun. I was just trying to feel out the boards to see if we were going to do it again, but Paul might be too busy filming NTSF/Arsherio Hall.

Either way, between the FYI site and the movie league, This podcast is about as interactive/immersive as it can be.

P.S. Shariq, your site is sweeeeet.

Doug Love Movies Benson said he was doing this on his last podcast. I looked into it. I would totally be down. We don't need to have an Earwolf person organize it or anything, do we?

We don't have to. There would be less incentive without a prize from the gang, but I'm willing to win this thing just for the shits a gigs.

friday_dopamine_16.jpg

I'm in, but I think I signed up a bit late, because the standings already show studios with billions of dollars in earnings. Nevertheless, "The Murphy Group" is on the scene, and ready to come from behind (that's not a euphemism -- I meant that purely in the sexual sense).

For some reason it is still showing some older studios from last year. I don't think the totals will be as high this year in comparison to last year as there was huge blockbuster after huge blockbuster, and this summer is proving to be sort of a dud money-wise.

http://fantasymoviel...e.com/group/186

There is a league for them, but it requires a password!

I have no idea what that is!

League Name: HOW DID THIS GET MADE

League Password: literally

League Link: http://fantasymovieleague.com/group/186

its probably too late to join the latest league (awards) cause there's only 3 weeks left but i guess the summer league will start soon. tried it last year but ended up forgetting about it, mainly cause i was terrible at it. might try again this year

• Like 2

I just joined (BB8s Mission) and it let me play, but obviously Im out of any contention for any prize.

Looking forward to seeing this play out.

Never played FML but I'm learning two lessons right away.

1/ Weekend estimates are basically spot on for the top opening movies. There's way too much money in too big an industry to fuck up those estimates.

2/ There are bonuses for various things including best performer/$, so it seems to explain why the winners are picking the top opener + like 7 of one other movie they think will have the best performance ratio...

That seems kinda boring but maybe it gets more interesting with bigger summer weekends.

Joined up a bit late but I still have about 6 weeks left in the Spring season so I'm excited!

I'm "The Darkroom"

I keep switching everything around because after seeing what they considered to be "the perfect" cineplex for last week I am quite confused.

This is basically the equation used to budget Adam Sandler films, how much to set aside while being able to get most for our money. I still don't get how they find out which movie made the most for how many theaters it is in (the blue ribbon movie or whatever it's called) and I don't get how they decide how much money a certain film will be budgeted when you pick for your lineup as it seems completely arbitrary. It's a fun way to play but the rules could be a lot clearer liked the previous incarnation of the Summer Movie League where you just picked ten movies for the summer and the total box office for them is what you scored. The only problem with that one was that you had to sign up right when the season started in order to get the cream of the crop picks. The one year the show promoted it was the year that was frontloaded with hits like the Avengers, Men in Black 3, Prometheus, Brave, and Ted, so if you joined later in the season you were completely screwed with choices.

So basically is it not good to buy the movie you think will do the best at the box office if it's crazily over-priced?

Sometimes yeah, seems that way. I wasn't around for previous years but I think what Ryan describes sounds way funner. Like just picking a fantasy team for the long play and see who wins the season. The way it's set up now favors whoever has more time to data-mine the shit out of all the theatre count stats and trends. Blegh. It's still fun but so frustrating!

Yeah I did that one week and it was way too tedious for me. The previous version was good if you could get in early enough because you picked 10 movies for the entire run in theaters. You then ranked them according to how you thought they would rank as the highest grossing for the season, if you were correct you got an extra million or so dollars I believe. You could change movies in your lineup so long as they had not been released yet and you could not pick movies that had been released already. It was pretty fun trying to guess how the movies would rank for the summer, I was dead right with Ted, Dark Knight Rises, and one other one I couldn't remember.

Well this season is about done for me after forgetting to do a lineup one week, which just used the prior lineup. This week also screwed me as the estimates from the "pros" were WAY off.

Yeah that wasn't in any of the best estimates.

If those estimates stay this weekend then it will totally make up for last week

tumblr_l9g3aqcGqL1qe0qyho1_500.gif

• Like 1

Wow holy shit, so far got a number 1 ranked team for the week, thanks Nerve.

Sign in to follow this