🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
EthanRunt

Man of Steel (2013)

I feel like that's all he's good at. His movies look like really fucking amazing music videos or video games (two mediums which also have major problems with their representation of women and minorities).

I almost thought that his visual style hurt the movie more than anything, something that I wasn't initially expecting considering Snyder's experience with bringing comic books to life. It seemed at odds with the new take on a darker Superman. RLM ripped into the movie quite a bit, but I think it was better than they gave it credit for.

OK I feel like this one needs revisiting. It seems like there was plenty of discussion of this when it came out but people had just seen it in theaters and were blinded by the visual effects and Henry Cavill's torso. I'm not sure if this is a HDTGM movie but it's definitely a bad movie if only because of the writing. The effects and cinematography were top notch but some of the plot contrivances were absurd.

In the beginning we find out Krypton is fucked but Jor-El is more concerned about ending caste politics than saving his race. Hey guy maybe use your advanced space program to escape with the help of Zod THEN try to enact your free society. Also the Kryptonian elders take time to have a trial for Zod while their planet is collapsing. There are ways to tell this origin story in ways that makes sense, this movie does not care about making sense.

Meanwhile in Kansas as others commenters have mentioned, Jon Kent's fear of people finding out about Clark is stupid (everyone in town should already know) and his death is meaningless.

When Amy Adams showed up I didn't know that she was a reporter because there was no way a court would force the US military to let journalists stick their noses into the investigation of what they believe to be a Russian submarine.

My biggest gripe with this movie is that at least 40% of dialogue is expository. This is forgivable in the beginning when they have explain all the space and super power stuff, but it continues throughout. There were multiple 20 minute stretches where the only things said were things like "we're gonna crash" "[the codex] is supposed to work differently." The movie doesn't trust the audience to pay attention so it has its characters tell us exactly what's happening every five seconds (counting all the times this happens would be a great drinking game). The worst is at the end where Zod says "There's only one way this ends, Kal. Either you die, or I do" and then that is literally what happens.

Criminal misuse of the word evolution:

Faora: [Beating up Kal-El] You are weak, Son of El, unsure of yourself. The fact that you possess a sense of morality, and we do not, gives us an evolutionary advantage. And if history has proven *anything*...

Faora: [Faora picks up Kal-El throws him into another building]

Faora: ...It is that evolution always wins.

The other Kryptonians instantly have super powered strength, speed, and durability, does Earth's sun just give them eye related super powers and flight? That's pretty lame.

The whole conflict of the movie could have been avoided if when Zod showed up Superman had just said "oh you want to terraform a planet? How about Mars it's close or literally any where else besides Earth."

Finally, Superman kills a bunch of Kryptonian babies for no reason. He blows up the ship full of fetuses because Zod is on it even though it won't physically hurt Zod and the terraform machine had already been destroyed. Clark just wants to be the only Kryptonian.

Criminal misuse of the word evolution:

Faora: [Beating up Kal-El] You are weak, Son of El, unsure of yourself. The fact that you possess a sense of morality, and we do not, gives us an evolutionary advantage. And if history has proven *anything*...

Faora: [Faora picks up Kal-El throws him into another building]

Faora: ...It is that evolution always wins.

This makes less sense than the Fast 7 line about the street always winning in a street fight.

• Like 2

This make less sense than the Fast 7 line about the street always winning in a street fight.

And we all know that even in a movie CALLED "Street Fighter" that a street doesn't even need to be present for such fights to occur. Or something. What exactly IS...ugh, nevermind...

Sign in to follow this