🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

The Rum Diary

Another Johnny Depp pet project where he plays another Hunter S. Thompson character. This movie was portrayed as a comedy in trailers and while there are some small laughs in the movie, this whole thing falls almost completely flat. And what's worse is that this movie is a lllooonnnggg two hours. that it seems the director realized too late that they needed an ending so he put in a quicky PS saying what happened to the character instead of showing it.

There were so many different stories within this movie but none were really finished and at the end, it happens so abruptly that it seems the director realized too late that they needed an ending so he put in a quicky PS saying what happened to the character instead of showing it. There is the appearance that an Accused-esque rape scene that is so racist I was shocked that it made the final cut instead of actual character development.

This movie was a step backwords from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. a movie I really did enjoy. but this film sorta goes no where, if I recall. like you said it's really long and boring. but I can't recall there being anything over the top exciting about it for HDTGM.

IIRC, the source material is a huge mess, so I'm not sure why anyone thought it would make for a good movie.

This was made solely because of Depp and while it may not have exciting parts, there is cockfighting montages, a drunk Nazi, an implied rape scene, and Aaron Eckhart threatening to shoot people on the beach.

This film is a guilty pleasure for me. I like it quite alot and have seen it many times, but I'll admit that it's not great filmmaking. :-)

The only good book that HST ever wrote was Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72. That was the perfect mix of drug induced craziness but with real reporting mixed in. I recommend it for anyone who wants to a real inside look into how a presidential campaign is run.

• Like 1

I would also suggest watching Gozno: The Life and Work of Hunter S. Thompson, highly entertaining take on the man.

• Like 1

Who plays the Swedish dude that spends his paycheck screwing hookers and wooing transsexuals? He was the most entertaining character in the whole book.

The only character who I remember even seeing a transsexual was Giovanni Ribisi's character but it was a witch doctor that he frequented.

The only character who I remember even seeing a transsexual was Giovanni Ribisi's character but it was a witch doctor that he frequented.

Ok, maybe that's him, Moberg. In book, the editor is always fucking with him because Moberg spends his money gambling and on prostitutes of all kinds. HST sort of looks down on him as well when he learns that Moberg is fucking transsexuals.

The thing I love about this book is that the real HST is Sanderson -- down to the description, his attitude, and his relationship with women.

Sign in to follow this