🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Lando

Actors who are underrepresented on the show

EDIT: I should have said actors or directors.

We all know they have done a bunch of Stallone and Cage movies, but who do you feel makes bad movies that you would think by now would be on the list of HDTGM all stars?

Brendan Fraser - I know a lot of his movies are sort of self-aware and goofy, but others are somewhat serious attempts to entertain and I'm surprised that none of those have been done yet.

Paul WS Anderson - His best movie was probably Hellraiser in Space AKA Event Horizon, but he has made a bunch of movies that deserve the scrutiny of the show.

EDIT: I should have said actors or directors.

We all know they have done a bunch of Stallone and Cage movies, but who do you feel makes bad movies that you would think by now would be on the list of HDTGM all stars?

Brendan Fraser - I know a lot of his movies are sort of self-aware and goofy, but others are somewhat serious attempts to entertain and I'm surprised that none of those have been done yet.

Paul WS Anderson - His best movie was probably Hellraiser in Space AKA Event Horizon, but he has made a bunch of movies that deserve the scrutiny of the show.

I think I'd still sooner re-watch the ACTUAL Hellraiser in Space (co-starring adam Scott!) than I would Paul WS Anderson's Hellraiser in Space. I don't think that's even the most discussion-worthy of his films though, as I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of talking about how ridiculous the last couple of installments of that shit farm that is the "Resident Evil" franchise.have been.

Also, speaking of Anderson, there was a display of movies up at Wal Mart a couple months back, for either Memorial Day or Father's Day or something, and they all seemed millitary-themed. You had your obvious ones, like "Great Escape" and "Dirty Dozen", some comedies like "Biloxi Blues" and "Stripes", but THEN you had the ones where whoever had chosen the selection of movies were clearly asleep at the wheel, as then you had the Paul WS Anderson classic "Soldier", starring Kurt Russell. The logic was probably something like this: "Huh, what's this? I don't know, but it says 'Soldier', so what the hell. Stick this between 'Bridge on the River Kwai' and 'Guns of Navarone'". It's too bad that Mario Van Peebles's "Solo" is too subtle of a title...

• Like 1

Actually I agree that Event Horizon would be one of the less entertaining PWSA movies to do. I caught bits of his version of The Three Musketeers and it would have been less of a desecration of the novel if it was two hours of him using the novel as toilet paper. It's got Christoph Waltz in it too, AFTER he won his Oscar for Inglorious Basterds. How did that happen?

I think Death Race would be one of the more enjoyable PWSA movies to watch.

• Like 2

Actually I agree that Event Horizon would be one of the less entertaining PWSA movies to do. I caught bits of his version of The Three Musketeers and it would have been less of a desecration of the novel if it was two hours of him using the novel as toilet paper. It's got Christoph Waltz in it too, AFTER he won his Oscar for Inglorious Basterds. How did that happen?

"Three Musketeers" was the movie that all of Nic Cage's hairpieces got together and did on their own after finding new hosts. You think I'm kidding, but take a look at the poster...The-Three-Musketeers-2011-Movie-Poster.jpg

• Like 1

Holy shit Orlando Bloom has a honky tonk pompadour in this movie!!!!

article-2042830-0E2202B500000578-452_634x500.jpg

• Like 1

Death Race 2000 would be far more entertaining, though. It seems like they haven't covered anything before 1980, I guess there's a certain cultural or generation gap there? Like a lot of the demographic/audience hasn't seen many older movies; on the other hand, a lot of listeners hadn't heard of Gymkata until a couple of weeks ago. Going by that great IMDB list Lando (? I believe?) made, Superman 3 and Sleepaway Camp are the oldest, from 1983.

Fuck, Adam Sandler and his stupid group of idiots have been making some real turds within the last twenty years. Pretty much anything past Waterboy (hey, whatever it was funny for the time) just flat out sucked. His movies get progressively unfunny and unoriginal as the years go by.

This gives me a chance to throw Miley Cyrus' name into this forum (since she's been all over the Earwolf boards). There was discussion of her change, how she's growing up and spiralling out of control. No longer catering to her Hannah Montana audiences; she's trying to show everyone that she's mature now and ready to surround herself with a different audience(i.e. sluttin' it up at the VMA's, all grinding on Alan Thicke's son, droppin that Molly). Sandler is the exact opposite. For every year he gets older, I swear his target audiences get younger, or at least his demographic is in a state of arrested deveolpment.

• Like 1

Event Horizon had the potential to be a much more interesting movie than it actually was. There's a nugget of a good idea there (haunted house in space). The problem is Paul WS Anderson is a terrible director and a terrible writer. Apparently, there is an even worse Director's Cut out there, which is basically just the gore dialed up to 11.

• Like 1

I think I'd still sooner re-watch the ACTUAL Hellraiser in Space (co-starring adam Scott!) than I would Paul WS Anderson's Hellraiser in Space.

You know they made a hellraiser in space, it's for real. it's called Hellraiser: Bloodline and you know something it was shockly not that bad.. LOL.

Death Race 2000 would be far more entertaining, though. It seems like they haven't covered anything before 1980, I guess there's a certain cultural or generation gap there?

I keep PVRing this deathrace 2000 movie and never got around to watching it. I loved the original one. as to why they don't do any pre 80's movie's that would be a good question to ask Paul in the Q&A with Paul Scheer section, chicken... Mind you it is a good question to ask. I don't think old movies are off topic. I think they just are looking for movies that are available to the public, IE alot of netflix.

MY two cents on the subject at hand. we still have not had a true Jean-Claude Van Damme movie yet....

we also haven't had a steven segal movie yet...

Fuck, Adam Sandler and his stupid group of idiots have been making some real turds within the last twenty years. Pretty much anything past Waterboy (hey, whatever it was funny for the time) just flat out sucked. His movies get progressively unfunny and unoriginal as the years go by.

The new Adam Sandler movies don't really bother me that much, probably because I've never really liked them to begin with. It is worth noting however that in addition to getting worse, his movies are getting more and more transparent. Jack and Jill really should have just been called Adam Sandler Wants a New Boat/House.

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, I enjoy You Don't Mess With The Zohan quite a bit (but That's My Boy is pretty bad)

The new Adam Sandler movies don't really bother me that much, probably because I've never really liked them to begin with. It is worth noting however that in addition to getting worse, his movies are getting more and more transparent. Jack and Jill really should have just been called Adam Sandler Wants a New Boat/House.

It's kind of depressing that after the interesting satirical take on his career in "Funny People", which didn't seem to go over too well with folks, that he went right back to doing the same old shit that he (through the writing and direction of Judd Apatow) had made fun of. Hey, he makes a hell of a living doing what he does, but it's almost worse that he stopped and acknowledged the going-back-to-the-well nature of his career, because we know that he knows he's perfectly aware of it.

I haven't checked Rotten Tomatoes recently but it looks like Grown Ups 2 is on track to being the most polarizing movie in history.

PlanBFromOuterSpace - i never really liked Adam Sandler much on SNL found him to be annoying for the most part. I liked The Wedding Singer" "Click" was ok I liked Walken so I watched it for that. "Punch-Drunk Love" was good too. but for the most part he makes fart comedy's. "That's My Boy" sums up everything I hate about Adam Sandler's film career. Note i've never seen "That's My Boy" but from the trailer it says everything I feel about him. using his name to sell a crappy made comedy. that could be a good movie for all I know but i most likely will never know that. i'll watch "LOL" before I'll watch "That's My Boy".

The funny part is he can be a good actor at times if he just doesn't get all mental like he does in most of his movies.

Sandler has only made one good comedy -- Happy Gilmore -- in my opinion. The first movie, Billy Madison, was not funny at all save for the scene at the end when he gives a long winded answer and the host tells him that the answer was complete garbage.

Because of his aggressive unfunny nature, even when he is playing more dramatic characters, I have no respect for what he is doing; I feel like the whisper-voiced characters he did on SNL are only a second away at all times.

Also, he has this thing where he likes to cast himself in sort of the straight man role, and then surround himself with crazy ass people that he reacts off of. The only exception to this are The Waterboy, Happy Gilmore, and Billy Madison. All of his other movies -- the one with the kid, the one where he's animated, Grown Ups, Spanglish, etc all have him playing an everyday, easy going derp. If I'm going to see a Sandler movie, I want to see him act like a fucking fool, not Jimmy Rational.

I feel like Chris Rock does the same thing, but then no one is giving Chris Rock oodles of money to make shitty ass movies.

For That's My Boy, it's like they knew the script was horrible and unfunny so they asked themselves how they could make people laugh in spite of the lack of good jokes so they said "give him a New England accent! People will laugh at that." Sadly, they were probably spot on.

For That's My Boy, it's like they knew the script was horrible and unfunny so they asked themselves how they could make people laugh in spite of the lack of good jokes so they said "give him a New England accent! People will laugh at that." Sadly, they were probably spot on.

That's a solid calculation of their audience.

• Like 1

I feel like Chris Rock does the same thing, but then no one is giving Chris Rock oodles of money to make shitty ass movies.

I hear you on that one. I been watching a lot of "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee" videos and most of them are funny, on the floor funny. but Chris Rock's is the most unfunny one on there. Even Sarah Silverman's video is good, and I find her annoying at times but she's good. David Letterman's is the most interesting one because he is so unlike the dave we see on tv..

Mind you Chris Rock "Pootie Tang" was a Masterpeace. BTW I own that on dvd.. hehe

• Like 1

i challenge anyone over the age of 12 to go back and watch billy madison or happy gilmore again and honestly say they are not terrible. cause they are, they are just as unfunny, cheap and crass as any of the new shit, it just seems worse because he's such a higher profile actor and this trash costs way the fuck more to make.

• Like 1

i challenge anyone over the age of 12 to go back and watch billy madison or happy gilmore again and honestly say they are not terrible. cause they are, they are just as unfunny, cheap and crass as any of the new shit, it just seems worse because he's such a higher profile actor and this trash costs way the fuck more to make.

I don't think they are bad and still get some laughs from them. I never expect them to be Dr. Strangelove and sometimes it's satisfying to not take yourself too seriously and laugh at something immature.

I don't find any of his shtick funny at all, especially when he spends an entire movie in that stupid high pitched voice. Then he did Punch Drunk Love, which was pretty universally praised, but he's not a great dramatic actor; it was more like watching a cat shit in a toilet instead of a litter box, kinda interesting but still just crap.

So many other SNL alumni have made featherweight junk movies like Adam Sandler does, but they are funny, unlike his. Tommy Boy is better than any of Sandler's film; hell, even Chris Farley's motivational speaker sketch on SNL is funnier than anything Sandler has ever done. MacGruber is super dumb and crass but also very funny. The fact that Sandler is doing shit like Jack & Jill is just, I don't know, depressing in a way. He has a bunch of money and could do whatever he wants, but he's just on autopilot.

Sandler is like the McDonalds of comedy. I would never say that a Big Mac is anywhere as good as a burger from Five Guys or In & Out, but sometimes it is satisfies the urge.

And I thought Punch-Drunk-Love was a so-so movie, but it should be viewed as a Paul Thomas Anderson movie and not an Adam Sandler movie.

I am going to dare say it. Adam Sandler is more like a 7 Eleven burger. the kind you buy when your drunk or stoned.

• Like 3

That's a good analogy, and a couple of his movies are like taquitos, which I eat without any drugs or alcohol in my system...