🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ChrisHarp

Star-goyle?

I realize that Blackie Green suffers from an advanced case of "Too Pretty to Think" but will someone please force him to give his familiar/companion/servitor/whatever thingy a proper name? Calling him Stargoyle is like inheriting a rare and valuable south american parrot and naming it "Bird."

Seriously, Gleek would be a better name and Gleek is an hideously, unimaginably, abominably awful name.

For the love of all that is good and decent in the world, please give your conduit to the Lovecraftian madness from beyond the stars a name with appropriate dignity. Also, please refrain from balancing biscuits on his nose. Nyarlathotep does not approve...

Or maybe I am completely off base and he is in fact the God-King of his race who in his megalomania demands to be called THE stargoyle.

Although if that were the case, there is a very real possibility that his combination of astrological genius and affected buffoonery is a result of his assessment that the party can be easily manipulated by such a simple ruse while he schemes to consume the whole of existence into his singularly.

Or maybe I am paranoid and he is just a cute little space Rainman-like idiot savant.

Either way, if I were Mildred and knew that he had consumed a portion of my soul, I would not trust him not to try to come back for the rest...

I think "Stargoyle" is more of a loving nickname given to a being that is not completely understood by our heroes. Don't think of it as an over-simplified name for the type for being that he is, nor just an incredibly unimaginative proper name, but rather a pet name given to him based on his appearance. (Like 'Blondie,' or 'Tiny.') We know that he is (or contains) a miniature black hole, but based on the descriptions in the latest episode (number 42 as of typing this)...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

...that Stargoyle isn't consuming the souls, but rather that they pass through him -- a process that breaks the link between the soul and the old man. We also know that this process isn't controllable by Stargoyle -- the souls just get sucked into him by his gravity. Whether this means that the souls (or soul fragments, as in Mildred's case) are destroyed or not has yet to be revealed, but from the descriptions in the latest episode it sounds closer to a type of "freeing" than destruction.

From the time our heroes first acquired their new gear and Stargoyle, I had a sneaking suspicion that those gifts were key to ending the evil they are charged with defeating. I have a hunch that Stargoyle (perhaps in conjunction with some sort of amplifier) is the key to freeing all of the stolen souls, and putting Bahamut as ease. ;)

• Like 2

I have a hunch that Stargoyle (perhaps in conjunction with some sort of amplifier) is the key to freeing all of the stolen souls, and putting Bahamut as ease. ;)

I thought that too. It's the point&click adventure thing to do and it translates so well into RPGs.

Hang on to that dirty hankerchief and pair of scissors, they will come in handy later.

Considering Stargoyle's affinity for souls and souls being the main theme of the villainous Collectors, it makes all the sense in the world. I can see Stargoyle doing something really kickass when time comes to cut off the snake's head. And I am just totally okay with that (as long as it's the players who come up with it).

im pretty sure he was eating them, and a exception was noted in Mildreds case.

I think his affinity with the floating cloud souls is having something to fly around with and play...... till they get too close.

I think Stargoyle summed that up Happy.

Plus if i had a rare South American Parrot id name him 'Parrot'

of course i do have a dog named 'Dog"

Dr. Who calls his TARDIS TARDIS.

John Wayne had a dog named Dog in Big Jake.

I think Stargoyle works fine.

• Like 1

please give your conduit to the Lovecraftian madness from beyond the stars a name with appropriate dignity.

If we're going Lovecraftian, then he'd simply be referred to as "indescribable". =D

Sark also has referred to SG as a "singularity", a word which I'm noticing comes up in every other paragraph in Lovecraft's tales. (I'm currently reading his works, obviously.)

But, y'know, "The Indescribable Singularity which Meeps Hungrily at the Edge of the Universe" is a mouthful to have to say whenever Blackie needs to call Stargoyle back inside for supper time.

I know I am reviving a dead thread, but, in either a John Wayne movie, or Clint Eastwood, I think it was Big Jake, Little Jake, the dog's name was called Dog.