🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 5 — Burning Man

Michael Swaim is back to share stories from his first time visit to Burning Man. He’ll tell us all about feeling comfortable enough to be nude for almost the entire time he was there, getting his mind blown from some of the many pieces of art, the most refreshing shower he’s ever had, the incredible Thunderdome, some of the craziest things that happened when he was on acid, the concept of Playa Time, and some of the negatives from his first time experience.

How is it that Burning Man is still around? People are doing illegal drugs out in the open and walking around naked. How is it that law enforcement allows this to take place year after year?

How is it that Burning Man is still around? People are doing illegal drugs out in the open and walking around naked. How is it that law enforcement allows this to take place year after year?

I have always wondered that...I used to go to outdoor raves a lot and it was always so weird. Our excuse/reasoning was just that we held these parties soooo far deep into the woods and often had to hike, it wasn't worth law enforcements time or money to get to us. But since this is so organized and planned and every year at the same place, I don't know... I'd imagine that with all the recent, negative press surrounding music festivals and Molly that Burning Man will be semi-shut down or seriously regulated within the next few years...

That being said, this episode was super interesting to listen too. I really liked hearing the stoires the past few weeks. Keep it up the great work! I look forward to this every Monday. So fun!

The propane industry probly bribes everyone to let it go on.

Damn Big Propane! :)

I wouldn't be surprised if SOMEONE is profiting from this thing and these people. It's amazing how people will turn a blind eye towards anything if money passes into the right hands...

I just can't think of anything else that would secretly sponsor such an event. Maybe, like, Lumber Liquidators? To build all the stuff they burn? Porta-pottie manufacturers? Propane industry's as good a guess as any.

• Like 2

The propane industry probly bribes everyone to let it go on.

He did say that the Walmart makes a killing when it event comes around, so maybe Sam Walton is behind Burning Man.

I love the show but I have one bone to pick with this episode. There are people who are afraid to go out in public because they are afraid of the ridicule they receive when they speak. The have lisps, they slurp their words, or they stutter which our culture finds hysterical for some perverted reason.

You chose to represent your advertiser by slurping through the commercial, next time speak with a stereotypical black street accent or a clownish chicano accent...it's all as equally offensive.

• Like 1

I love the show but I have one bone to pick with this episode. There are people who are afraid to go out in public because they are afraid of the ridicule they receive when they speak. The have lisps, they slurp their words, or they stutter which our culture finds hysterical for some perverted reason.

You chose to represent your advertiser by slurping through the commercial, next time speak with a stereotypical black street accent or a clownish chicano accent...it's all as equally offensive.

People at Earwolf already speak with black street accents and clownish chicano accents for comedic effect. People who take offensive to that are told that they have no sense of humor and are being too sensitive. I'm going to give you that same advice.

• Like 1

People at Earwolf already speak with black street accents and clownish chicano accents for comedic effect. People who take offensive to that are told that they have no sense of humor and are being too sensitive. I'm going to give you that same advice.

Repeating a mistake doesn't make it right. My kid comes home in tears because he is ridiculed to death because he stutters...too sensitive? Let me give you some advice, get a heart!

• Like 2

Great episode. It was really cool to hear about what exactly burning man was. It definitely doesn't sound like my speed, but the way the community works and why it really isn't sustainable beyond the event is fascinating.

Repeating a mistake doesn't make it right. My kid comes home in tears because he is ridiculed to death because he stutters...too sensitive? Let me give you some advice, get a heart!

They don't see it as a mistake, so in their minds they haven't done anything wrong. I suggest you work on getting them to acknowledge that the accents are offensive and need to be stopped, or use other groups as analogies when you are trying to make your point.