🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 258 — Yoke Jams

Fuck yes, Bill Callahan! One of my favorite song-writers of all time. Probably not the best format for him, and pairing him with Pardo is even worse, but at least you guys figured out how to make the most of it comedically (would still love to hear him on WTF or a one-on-one show where he could open up more though).

Pardo and Matt were sharp as usual. Who on earth thought inviting that clunker of a musician on a comedy show was a good idea?

Who on earth thought inviting that clunker of a musician on a comedy show was a good idea?

Scott Aukerman, the host of Comedy Bang Bang. Asshole.

• Like 3

I understand why people weren't into Bill Callahan being on this episode. Callahan is pretty introspective and (frankly) a lot of his music is wonderful but really bummed out.

That being said, Pardo (almost a character in his own right) and Ducca knocked it out of the park, so it was okay that Callahan (the accomplished musician) tried to stay away as the comedians did their thing. Not all musicians are funny, Aimee Mann and Neko Case may be the exception to my new rule: don't expect the awesome musician guests to be funny.

I think that Win Butler on Comedy Bang Bang could possibly be the worst fit for the show. But how awesome would that be?

Seriously. Bill Callahan may be a very talented musician (he's not my cup of tea exactly, although I like plenty of artists that could be called similarly depressing in their own right - Red House Painters, Elliott Smith, etc.), but he doesn't seem to be very quick on his feet when it comes to answering questions, let alone any form of improv.

90% of the questions Scott asked him received a "Yeh", "Uh huh", or similar one-word answer. He didn't really add much to the podcast beyond the songs he played, but I suppose that's not his job.

Ducca, on the other hand, was solid gold, as always.

• Like 1

Now that NNF is FREE (!!!) can someone give me a time stamp for the Seth Morris/J Pardo talking Bill Callahan convo? Thanks!

Sorry, can't help you 'limb'... I will say it was the episode of NnF the same week, if that helps at all....

Also, from all the comments I've made here, they have all been positive except the one about Billl...apologies if I hit a nerve.

Evidently buying earwolf merch (hot saucerman bottle #69!) buying all the live shows, seeing all the guests when they come through St. Louis and listening to several Earwolf podcasts religiously makes me an asshole....

Sign in to follow this