🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Wien

Left Behind (2014)

Just how unwatchable is Outcast? If Outcast is ever on Netflix or Amazon Prime, would you recommend watching it? If I decide to take on his task, beer or liquor? If I suffer from depression should I avoid this film? Is Outcast as bad as I think it is? If so, you're probably a saint and will be raptured.

• Like 1

The Kirk Cameron Left Behind trilogy expires from Netflix at the end of November so I am doing the lord's(?) work and watching all 3 of them, I thought I'd share my thoughts on each one as I go through them.

- It seems like Kirk Cameon's reporter character is the main character in this one, but the Cage version gave me the impression that the pilot was the main character. I will just have to compare.

- This whole rapture plan is kind of a bad idea. Families are torn apart, children not obeying thy mothers and fathers orphaned,I'm assuming that some other pilots got raptured while they were working. All in all kind of a dick move God.

- One of the bad guy characters is named Nicolae Caprathia, I am half expecting Janosz from Ghostbusters 2 to pop up ready to serve him.

- I'm still not sure what Kirk's character did to not get raptured. Maybe because he's a reporter, that means he once voted for a Democrat? Maybe he gyrated his hips a little too sensually once and was not sorry about it or has sex with his prom date. Though, since a preacher gets left behind too, I may be getting ahead of myself and it will be resolved in the end.

- Even though this film starts off in Israel, they never really discuss whether or not Israelis get raptured too. This might be too taboo for the filmmakers to touch. I'd be curious to see whether they think Salt Lake City's residents gets raptured too...

- This is kind of interesting in that the first movie is pre-9/11, but the sequel was released in 2002. I will just have to wait and see if anything is different post-9/11

- I like that it ends with a Christian Backstreet Boy-esque song about the rapture with laser sound effects. This is probably the best part of the movie, and it's not exactly good...

Just how unwatchable is Outcast? If Outcast is ever on Netflix or Amazon Prime, would you recommend watching it? If I decide to take on his task, beer or liquor? If I suffer from depression should I avoid this film? Is Outcast as bad as I think it is? If so, you're probably a saint and will be raptured.

it's by no means 90 minutes in heaven..

2yo3h39.jpg

he did say she was an angel

Tribulation force time:

- I swear that Carpathia's accent has has gotten worse in this one. It was bad in the first one, but it is distractingly bad in this one.

- This one has a lot stronger religious themes than the first one, but there's a bit more action. I am not sure if this one is better than the first or not.

- It's kind of funny that this one they redesigned the logo for GNN (the news channel where Kirk Cameron's character works) so that it is not an overt ripoff of the CNN logo. I wonder if CNN complained.

- I am a little bit disappointed that the Nic Cage version of the first bombed so hard because it means that I won't have a 2nd and 3rd to compare it to. But then again, this means that I would be watching 6 terrible movies instead of only 4.

Part 3: World at War

- Wow, significant budget upgrade here! They went from 4:3 SD to 16:9 HD. Even the Cloud 10 logo got an upgrade. I wonder if they got a big cash infusion from parts 1&2 or if the technology got cheaper.

- Whoa, Louis Gossett jr. I can't decide if that's a big get on the filmmaker's part or if it's that he is that desperate for work (although I am leaning towards the latter)

- Whatever money was spend on this movie was not spent on CGI that's for sure.

- I have to be honest, I mostly tuned out about 20 minutes into this movie. Although I did notice that I believe I had the same cell phone as Kirk Cameron in this around 2005. I think I might have it in my basement somewhere.

All in all, I think this would be a poor series of movies to do, at worst this felt like "Chick Tracts: The Movie" and at best they are mostly pretty boring. I would really only suggest watching these movies if you were an Evangelical Christian who believed in revelations or you have a morbid curiosity with said people. Honestly, I think this movie reveals a lot about what Kirk Cameron, and at least some people that share his beliefs think.

after watching Kirk Cameron's Christmas movie.I am almost ready to watch his version of left behind.

I loved Kirk Cameron's saving christmas, it's just amazing, I was laughing most of the time when watching it. would be such a great movie to see in a movie theater with the right audience.

Watching the Nic Cage version right now. Here are my thoughts.

• Wow, the moral archetyping makes Tyler Perry look subtle. Given that this is the 2nd version of the film and the furthest away from Kirk Cameron, I guess that means the source material is also this way. Shocker.
  • Again this whole rapture strikes me as a terrible idea. Your bus driver gets raptured and the bus crashes as a result everyone on board dies immediately and goes to hell? Tough luck. Dayum God, at least wait until self driving cars and passenger planes are a thing before starting this rapture.
  • There is a Muslim man on board this flight who tries to help out a little person, thus showing that he is a decent person. Guess whether or not he gets raptured.
  • There's also a shot of an empty car with a Jesus fish hanging from the rear view mirror. That's subtle right?
  • Apparently the tell of whether or not you're a believer is if you have some Christian paraphernalia on you. What if you're just holding a friend's cross? Do you get lucky and they get left behind?
  • I do sort of wish this hadn't flopped so hard and parts 2 & 3 were green-lit. I remember there being more to the 1st movie than this plane plot and other immediate post-rapture melodrama. They don't even set up the antichrist.
  • Apparently the only people that enjoyed this version were fans of the original LB and bad Nic Cage movies, we're talking Outcast level bad.
  • The best rapture movie by far is still
    leOCSoFLlDc1q.gif

And as a bonus, some facts about this movie from IMDB:

• Nicolas Cage was reportedly paid $3 million to star and he completed his work in just 10 days.
  • Left Behind authors Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins along with their families were given an advanced screening of a rough cut of the movie on January 31, 2014. Afterwards, LaHaye was quoted as saying, "It is the best movie I have ever seen on the rapture." Jenkins was quoted, "I believe it does justice to the novel and will renew interest in the entire series."

Wow, I just discovered that rather than do a sequel to the Nic Cage Left Behind, they did a Young Adult reboot called "Vanished: Left Behind - Next Generation" that I will probably end up watching.

Sign in to follow this