🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Blast Hardcheese

The Thing (2011)

Not a remake of John Carpenter's 80's film of the same name, but rather an unnecessary, stupid and pointless prequel.

I can't even properly put into words how infuriating and perplexing this horrible film is to me. It's as if the script consists of nothing but callbacks to the film that supposed to follow it (is your brain throbbing yet?), but contains none of the gruesome horror, surprise or dread.

Hollow characters, fake looking CGI, minor plot threads that don't connect to Carpenter's film (the alien craft buried in an ice cave rather than being cratered-out with explosives as it was portrayed in the 80's film), and the most important bridge to the 80's film (the Norwegians chasing the dog to the American base) sandwiched between end credit slates. Also, couldn't the producers come up with an original name for their crappy movie other than one that was already taken?

This film is inexplicable. How did and why did it get made? I really have to know, if only to receive some kind of closure.

I agree that it's pointless, but there's really nothing that would make one scream 'WHAT IS HAPPENING?!'

Yeah it was just bland and lame.

The worst part though, was that they had amazing practical effects all set to go. Tons of animatronic monster puppets just like the original....and then some suit decided to scrap it all and make it lame CGI. Worst live action to CGI monster decision since I am Legend.

Check out the clip on youtube. I think it's called "The Thing 2011 practical effects test" or something like that. Tragic all that talent and work went to waste.

Yeah it was just bland and lame.

The worst part though, was that they had amazing practical effects all set to go. Tons of animatronic monster puppets just like the original....and then some suit decided to scrap it all and make it lame CGI. Worst live action to CGI monster decision since I am Legend.

Check out the clip on youtube. I think it's called "The Thing 2011 practical effects test" or something like that. Tragic all that talent and work went to waste.

Yeah I've seen those shots and they are super depressing. By all means, filmmakers should use CGI because it's a great tool. But you have to use it in the right way.

I'm not familiar with a similar situation in I Am Legend...did they have some kind of practical effect for the vampires and ditched it for CGI at the last minute?

I think they just had real people in makeup.

Anything would have been better than the Nintendo Gamecube footage they ended up using. The first time you saw one of their faces I blinked a couple times to make sure what I was seeing was in an actual professional movie.It was Xmen Origins: Wolverine levels of bad.

I think they just had real people in makeup.

Anything would have been better than the Nintendo Gamecube footage they ended up using. The first time you saw one of their faces I blinked a couple times to make sure what I was seeing was in an actual professional movie.It was Xmen Origins: Wolverine levels of bad.

From what I remember, I thought the effects were fine for the most part, but what was tge deal with that 8-bit column thing on the ship at the end? It seriously looked like it was a placeholder or an unfinished effect or something.

Yeah, I don't remember being too bothered by the CGI infected in I Am Legend but it has been a while since I've seen it. I just remember being so disappointed that they'd shot a proper ending but test audiences preferred Will Smith blowing himself up (not that I can't see why someone would enjoy watching Will Smith blow himself up).

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this