🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

Romeo Must Die (2000)

Tries to be a modern remake of Romeo and Juliet. Fails in almost every regard.

Most hilarious thing about this movie though is even though Jet Li is supposed to be the Romeo in the movie and Aaliyah ostensibly his Juliet. Except that the studio was apparently uncomfortable having an asian actor in a romantic lead. So instead of them getting together in the end, they have a super awkward hug.

Fuck this movie.

Jet Li plays football in it right? If I'm not mistaking it for something else, that's a legit reason for making a movie.

I was talking about this movie today with a friend and it also made me think about Beverly Hills Cop. When it was first written Stallone was the actor they had in mind and Axel's friend was his love interest. When they switched to Eddie Murphy, they changed the script for their relationship to remain platonic throughout. If you look at Eddie Murphy's filmography, it's nuts how that in none of them, at least that I can remember, he had a white romantic lead. 

Its just insane that until fairly recently studio execs were comfortable saying shit like " I just dont think American film goers would be comfortable with an asian actor as a romantic lead." 

At first I got this movie mixed up with Romeo Is Bleeding, a Tarantino "inspired" indie crime caper starring Gary Oldman with an ending that just goes on and on...

...and on.

Sign in to follow this