🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 117 - Theodore Rex: LIVE!

Recorded LIVE from the House of Blues in San Diego, Paul, June, and Jason discuss Whoopi Goldberg and a dinosaur teaming up in Theodore Rex. They’ll talk about whether Whoopi is a robot or a cyborg, super horny dinos, Molly Rex singing, the puppet in the box, and more.

People of the internet: A while ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA and now you’ll be able to see it. Go to vim.io/crashtestpaul now to buy it!

The Hotwives (Casey Wilson, Danielle Schneider, Andrea Savage, Dannah Phirman, Tymberlee Hill, Angela Kinsey, Erinn Hayes) are back and this time they are in Vegas baby! The Hotwives of Las Vegas is coming to Hulu on Tuesday, August 18th!

Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, Paul in Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp on Netflix, all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, ScheeRL on YouTube here:

, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

And the prize for worst audience participation in How Did This Get Made history goes to...

The Mexican on a sombrero guy!

Congratulations on winning this hotly contested title.

• Like 6

correction number 1.

i believe you had some confusion over animals in the movie going extinct. i think a news report can be overheard explaining that elizar kane (the scientist) was cloning these newly extinct species and reintroducing them to the planet, this also explains why he would have the largest zoo, and his museum of frozen animals.

omission number 1.

the missile at the end of the movie (to send the world into a second ice age) is launched with a timer counting down till its (explosion?) when teddy finally gets control over the remote and presses the abort button, the timer is at seven seconds. the timer goes down to one before blowing up (thought to be because of teddy aborting its mission). but the missile is at one and still in orbit. was the missile supposed to do something other than blow up, or blow up differently? how does a missile blowing up in space cause an ice age?

omission number 2.

when "kane" is grappling hooked out of his car, why does this make "edge" lose control of the car sending it into what looks like a plywood sign causing a massive explosion?

omission number 3.

when teddy goes to speak to commissioner lynch, hes interrupting "kane's" speech to his investors of the new eden project, in his speech he says that "he has reintroduced dinosaurs to the earth" and that "its time for humanity to step aside". does this mean that the "new eden project" is for humans to leave the earth for another planet or is everyone at the dinner in on the "new ice age" plan? if the former, why don't they explain that in the movie. if the latter, then why does the commissioner (who was at the dinner) set a time-line that could cause the plan to fail?

For fuck sake what is the release schedule for this show?! I seriously did not expect this to come out until next Friday.

For fuck sake what is the release schedule for this show?! I seriously did not expect this to come out until next Friday.

It's usually every other Friday, with a minisode on the Fridays in between. They got a bit off-schedule with the Sharknado episode and released an episode on the following Monday instead of Friday. Why wouldn't you expect one until next Friday? At the latest, I would have expected this on Monday, but I'm very happy to get it today instead. I can't imagine being upset that a show I like came out earlier than I had expected.

Anyway, on to my correction. Was Teddy actually hired in PR? I thought when he was talking to Shaft during the museum dinner party thing, they said he was a "publicity hire" or something along those lines, which would mean he was hired simply for publicity but wasn't being given real police work.

• Like 7

Minisode one week, full episode the next.

• Like 3

And the prize for worst audience participation in How Did This Get Made history goes to...

The Mexican on a sombrero guy!

Congratulations on winning this hotly contested title.

Generally, I try to refrain from making fun of the people who ask questions at the live shows. I'm sure they are kind of nervous and are probably all very nice people.

That being said, I think this award should go to the guy who Paul picks out because he apparently had pages of notes and when prompted for his question he says, "Cookies." Granted he said he was going to bring up the shoes in the drawer thing, but all you had left in the tank was "cookies?" He then made no effort to elaborate! What was in the rest of your notes, dude? Was it a Jack Torrance type thing with just, "cookies, shoes, cookies, shoes, cookies, shoes" written thousands of times?

• Like 7

Aside from his great portrayal of Superman in the DC animated universe, Teddy's voice actor, George Newbern, was Poochinski's still human parter in that gem.

Additionally, Ella, the holo-mcjibber operator who provided the dino-detective's multi-racially offensive wardrobe (and sparked the infamous "what would a mexican on a sombrero look like?" debate) was played by Edith Diaz, whose inimitable performance as "Choir Nun" in Sister Act and Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit must have earned her a place in this film. I would not be surprised if her casting was a requirement of Whoopie's settlement when returning to shoot Theodore Rex.

Great episode, gang!

As established in the episode, regardless of species of dinosaur, all of the dinosaurs appear to be vegetarians. Theodore explicitly states this and they don't seem to be too discriminant as to the types of vegetation that they eat. For example, when Theodore first meets Molly at the Extinct Species Club* he hands her a bouquet of flowers and when they leave she gobbles them up as if it's something she does all the time. Theodore wasn't giving her flowers, he was giving her the dinosaur equivalent of a box of chocolates. Sure. Fine. That's a great joke, but here's where things take a detour into the macabre...

Later on in the film, at Oliver's funeral, we are told that his remains have been liquified and his essence is being poured on flowers. We are then told that these flowers will be given out to all of the funeral's attendees. Given that--as presented in the film--dinosaurs only seem to view flowers as food and not decor, wouldn't this be the equivalent of a human being seasoning their supper with the ashes of their dead grandparent?

*Does anyone else feel like "Extinct Species Club" should really have an apostrophe in it? I get that it's the name of the club, but since it is a club for extinct species, shouldn't it be "Extinct Species' Club?"

• Like 4

Lol Hummie Mann is a film score composer! was that part of the gag? He did Robin Hood: men in tights, and Dracula: Dead and Loving it

According to an article in the LA Times from 1996, "But after one downbeat rough-cut preview in June of 1995, New Line asked the filmmakers to trim some of the more violent segments and rewrite some dinosaur dialogue to clarify the plot."

1) I would have love to seen the "more violent segments."

2) From the movie I saw, I guess they needed to add even "more dinosaur dialogue"?

http://articles.lati..._1_theodore-rex

post-110224-0-52331600-1440171692_thumb.png

• Like 1

I wonder if all of the dinosaur dialogue they added in was done without re-editing the movie, which is why dino lines are constantly getting stepped on.

• Like 1

That being said, I think this award should go to the guy who Paul picks out because he apparently had pages of notes and when prompted for his question he says, "Cookies." Granted he said he was going to bring up the shoes in the drawer thing, but all you had left in the tank was "cookies?" He then made no effort to elaborate! What was in the rest of your notes, dude? Was it a Jack Torrance type thing with just, "cookies, shoes, cookies, shoes, cookies, shoes" written thousands of times?

TheShining-CookieMonster.jpg

• Like 10

The absolute insanity of this awful movie has finally drawn me to the boards.

1) If we are to believe that, in this world, Kane has genetically engineered talking dinosaurs and that he is bringing back endangered species, why is it news that he has brought raccoons back from extinction? Is there a news report for literally every species he is bringing back from the dead? Are these reports daily? Does anyone in society actually care anymore? I mean when you have talking dinosaurs can you truly muster excitement over a raccoon?

2)At the end of the movie when Whoopi is short-circuiting(?) and asks if Teddy has been shot he states that he is "faking," yet at the end of the movie he is wearing a sling. Why?

3) So if we are to believe that Whoopi was a robot then why in the heck was that kid trying to hook his dad up with her? Unless the kid just thinks his dad could really use a sex robot then I would say it supports the idea that maybe all humans are extinct as well

• Like 4

3) So if we are to believe that Whoopi was a robot then why in the heck was that kid trying to hook his dad up with her? Unless the kid just thinks his dad could really use a sex robot then I would say it supports the idea that maybe all humans are extinct as well

I can actually answer this one! First of all, Whoopi is definitely more of a cyborg than robot. When it is revealed to Theodore, she tells him all the "Guns" have been implanted with electronics making them "more human than human." Theodore says he didn't know that and asks if it's classified. She tells him "yes" and that he should keep his mouth shut about it.

So, since it's classified, there's no reason the kid would have known this. I did find it odd that he kept trying to hook her up with his dad though. He was being awfully cagey about the whole thing. For awhile, I thought it had been her asking about his dad because he was this unsupervised kid working at an outdoor diner(???) and she was just making sure he was okay. I thought it was going to be revealed he had been orphaned and she would adopt him at the end. But no, his dad's there at the end-- no lines, just there. Good forbid this movie try to inject any kind of heart into it....

• Like 2

I'm actually surprised that no one mentioned how Theodore Rex has the same opening as Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Both protagonists wake up in their quirkily-decorated homes filled with random toys, put on sight-gag slippers, and get ready for the day while humming, giggling, and talking to themselves.

Their dogs, Zippy and Speck, have essentially the same indoor doghouse with their name written over the door, and Teddy's cookie shooter serves the same purpose as Pee-Wee's toaster.

Needless to say, I wasn't shocked to discover that Theodore Rex's producer, Richard Abramson, was also Pee-Wee's manager and producer. However, when you look at those openings side-by-side, it becomes apparent how dark and unpleasant to look at Theodore Rex's set and lighting design is.

• Like 2

I'm actually surprised that no one mentioned how Theodore Rex has the same opening as Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Both protagonists wake up in their quirkily-decorated homes filled with random toys, put on sight-gag slippers, and get ready for the day while humming, giggling, and talking to themselves.

To be fair, Theodore Rex doesn't start "humming, giggling, and talking to [himself]" until after he has a premonition of a grisly murder (that then turns out to be true) and he is on the way to investigate the crime scene. Gee, I know when I'm going to see a partially exploded corpse it really gets my toes-a-tapping...

And also, how come when Theodore calls 911 to ask them about a bad dream he gets to be a part of an investigation, but when I do it I get charged with a misdemeanor?

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this