🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 129.5 - Minisode 129.5

Guys, his undercover name was Paul. And he hits himself saying, "Stupid, Paul!" I feel like a gif of that would have come in handy for "The Apple."

• Like 2

Was this also your (and presumably Cameron's) reaction when Paul said he's been jamming out to the Hamilton soundtrack?

I wonder quite a bit whether or not it would make a good HDTGM movie. It's batshit crazy, but it's kind of supposed to be. I feel like making fun of it would just be like, "Yeah, that's that's the point of it!"

A couple of other random thoughts:

When Paul was talking about the Funny or Die thing, he said something along the lines of, "Alf! It's got Alf. Alfred Molina." Question: Does Paul think that Alf and Alfred Molina are the the same person?

Don't let goddamn Michael Bay anywhere near John Carpenter movies. Two of his classics have already been remade and were pretty shitty. They Live is in my top three Carpenter films, and it should be completely left alone because it is flawless.

I know I'm really late to the party, but I really hope that Alfred Molina and Alf are in fact the same person. In the same way that I suspect that Andrea Riseborough is undercover in the aristocratic English reality TV crapfest as one of the women in some kind of bizarre living performance art project.

I couldn't agree more about They Live. That whole bit made me sad and angry. Sorry Paul. Michael Bay should be hunted down with pitchforks and firehoses filled with liquid shit if he goes near any of Carpenter's films; even Vampires or Ghosts of Mars.

I WOULD quite like to see a Michael Bay remake of Out of Africa. That's an 80s movie that would benefit from a few robots, explosions and gratuitous arse shots.

• Like 1

I know I'm really late to the party, but I really hope that Alfred Molina and Alf are in fact the same person. In the same way that I suspect that Andrea Riseborough is undercover in the aristocratic English reality TV crapfest as one of the women in some kind of bizarre living performance art project.

I couldn't agree more about They Live. That whole bit made me sad and angry. Sorry Paul. Michael Bay should be hunted down with pitchforks and firehoses filled with liquid shit if he goes near any of Carpenter's films; even Vampires or Ghosts of Mars.

I WOULD quite like to see a Michael Bay remake of Out of Africa. That's an 80s movie that would benefit from a few robots, explosions and gratuitous arse shots.

You're never too late to talk about John Carpenter :)

• Like 1

You're never too late to talk about John Carpenter :)

Well, since I'm a geek and on a train journey, and too tired to concentrate on the novel I'm trying to write, here's my all time John Carpenter films list in order of preference. Only films he personally directed.

The Thing

Escape From New York

Assault on Precinct 13

Big Trouble In Little China

Star Man

Prince of Darkness

They Live

Halloween

The Fog

Dark Star

Elvis

In The Mouth of Madness

Christine

Vampires

Village of the Damned

Escape from LA

Ghosts of Mars

The Ward

Memoirs of an Invisible Man

• Like 1

Well, since I'm a geek and on a train journey, and too tired to concentrate on the novel I'm trying to write, here's my all time John Carpenter films list in order of preference. Only films he personally directed.

The Thing

Escape From New York

Assault on Precinct 13

Star Man

Prince of Darkness

They Live

Halloween

The Fog

Dark Star

Elvis

In The Mouth of Madness

Christine

Vampires

Village of the Damned

Escape from LA

Ghosts of Mars

The Ward

Memoirs of an Invisible Man

Ohhhh...that's a good ranking. Big Trouble in Little China is my favorite, but that's got a lot of nostalgia tied up in it for me (my uncle and I used to watch it together every summer when I was a kid). And I'd probably put They Live a bit higher and move The Thing down a bit. But otherwise, I think I'd probably agree with your list. My top five would be:

Escape From New York

Assault on Precinct 13

The Thing

They Live

It's funny how much harder it is to rank the top 5-7ish than basically the entire rest of the list. Like, when Carpenter is good, he's SO FUCKING GOOD. There's such a small increment in how much I like, say, They Live vs Escape from NY.

• Like 1

Ohhhh...that's a good ranking. Big Trouble in Little China is my favorite, but that's got a lot of nostalgia tied up in it for me (my uncle and I used to watch it together every summer when I was a kid). And I'd probably put They Live a bit higher and move The Thing down a bit. But otherwise, I think I'd probably agree with your list. My top five would be:

Escape From New York

Assault on Precinct 13

The Thing

They Live

It's funny how much harder it is to rank the top 5-7ish than basically the entire rest of the list. Like, when Carpenter is good, he's SO FUCKING GOOD. There's such a small increment in how much I like, say, They Live vs Escape from NY.

The other thing that's notable about John Carpenter is you have to go a loooong way down his list of films before you find something that's actually shit with nothing to commend a rewatch.

• Like 1