🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavid

TV Movies

On the latest episode of the Canon Amy mentioned that she would like to do a TV movie, and I would love to see this episode. I was wondering 3 things:

First would they be counting movies which get a super limited release to be awards eligible, but is simultaneously put on streaming (I'm looking at you Beasts of No Nation), is it still a TV movie?

Secondably, should miniseries, especially ones that are longer than 1-2 episodes considered movies?

Finally what are some TV movies that would be Canon worthy?

To answer my own questions

1. Yes, if the primary viewing method is broadcast TV or streaming services it is a TV movie.

2. No, sorry People vs Uncle Juice and the Jinx. A miniseries is a product that is meant to be consumed as a whole with each episode leading directly to the next, while a movie is a self contained narrative where if the creative force behind it died and never finished the sequel would tell the full story. Think Star Wars, it set up a franchise but if Lucas had never made a sequel it still would stand on its own as an excellent movie. (Kill Bill Volumes 1 & 2 violate this rule, but they were theatrical releases so deal with it.)

3. I think that the aforementioned Beasts of No Nation will be a contender, its a very good movie and the simultaneous theater release and streaming delivery will have a lasting impact. Additionally I think the documentary Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills is in this age of true crime a significant movie, in addition to *Spoilers* literally starting a movement that saved a man's life *Spoiler over*. That said I would understand if Paradise Lost is ineligible as a TV movie, after all it's not TV it's HBO.

The Red Riding Trilogy is about the only thing I can think of that would be canon worthy. Perhaps the first in the series if you must pick one. Maybe Behind the Candelabra based on what I've heard about it. I haven't seen it yet though.

Brian's Song is what immediately jumped out to me when they mentioned TV movies.

The Red Riding Trilogy is about the only thing I can think of that would be canon worthy. Perhaps the first in the series if you must pick one.

Thats a good choice, there's quite a lot of high quality TV movies that get put on here in the UK, Boy A with Peter Mullan and Andrew Garfield was another great one.

Maybe Behind the Candelabra based on what I've heard about it. I haven't seen it yet though.

BHC raises a question, would it still count as a tv movie for the basis of this if it had a theatrical release in other countries? It had a releases in cinemas here in the UK around the time of it's airing in america.

Devin mentioned the Dekalog in the podcast. I think that (or at least parts of it; A Short Film About Killing, certainly) is worthy of Canon consideration. Scenes from a Marriage, which was truncated into cinematic format for international release, is another candidate. You could also argue for a whole slew of HBO output from the last twenty years.

Devin mentioned the Dekalog in the podcast. I think that (or at least parts of it; A Short Film About Killing, certainly) is worthy of Canon consideration. Scenes from a Marriage, which was truncated into cinematic format for international release, is another candidate. You could also argue for a whole slew of HBO output from the last twenty years.

I certainly think this could be extended out to miniseries. Things like Fanny and Alexander or Berlin Alexanderplatz would make for great episodes, although their length and availability may deter some people.

Sign in to follow this