🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 3 (Taylor Anne Photo's Choice)

This may be a blasphemous thing I'm saying, and out me as being not nearly up enough on the American film catalogue, but how's 'The World According to Garp'? I've never seen it, but I read the book last year. Garp is such an insufferable tool in that thing, and the story is so painful in so many ways, that when i heard that John Lithgow plays Roberta Muldoon (voiced, in my head, as Paul F. Tompkins-style GoGo), I thought that might be one to give a wide, wide berth.

I loved 'Cocoon' when I was a kid. One of those movies it seemed we rented three times a year, but really it's about old people mooching youth off giant eggs.

I wrote a brief review on Letterboxd. Basically I said that Lithgow was great, but it's a challenging movie. Garp is a real tool. And while I often thought that Robin Williams was miscast, I also had to concede that he's also the only reason you cut this guy any slack at all. Also, the movie never real comes together. I think what I said on Letterboxd was I don't know how well it works as a movie, but as a piece of Art that makes you feel something (even if that thing is anger) then I guess it works. And it definitely had its moments. There were at least two moments where my mouth literally dropped open--although if you've already read the book....

So while I wouldn't necessary go out of my way to recommend it, it might be worth a look.

ETA: I just wanted add that since writing this post my rating of Garp has gone from "3 stars/liked," to "3 stars/don't like," to "2 1/2 stars/don't like."

If this keeps up it's going to start owing me some stars...:)

• Like 1

I think I know the moments you're talking about. If they're the same ones as the ones in the book, I just reflexively crossed my legs.

I kept having to remind myself as I read the book that Robin Williams was Garp. Mork as Misanthrope. Ticket line starts to the right! Irving's sketching of Roberta in the book is hopelessly of its time, particularly in terms of the language we have today to talk about transgender people or transitioning people: i am very happy to hear that Lithgow's performance is more than a caricature (or caper-scene outtake from 'Third Rock') because as I was reading I couldn't quite picture how it could be well filmed.

I didn't get the sense it was an unfilmable as 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' (a way better book, and let's pretend 'Simon Birch' never happened), but it still seemed like a stretch. I'll put it on my to-watch list.

PS - Hey Cam - my Jackson Five play is just about finished. Interested in some light reading for the next 5am wakeup call? ;)

• Like 1

I think I know the moments you're talking about. If they're the same ones as the ones in the book, I just reflexively crossed my legs.

I kept having to remind myself as I read the book that Robin Williams was Garp. Mork as Misanthrope. Ticket line starts to the right! Irving's sketching of Roberta in the book is hopelessly of its time, particularly in terms of the language we have today to talk about transgender people or transitioning people: i am very happy to hear that Lithgow's performance is more than a caricature (or caper-scene outtake from 'Third Rock') because as I was reading I couldn't quite picture how it could be well filmed.

I didn't get the sense it was an unfilmable as 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' (a way better book, and let's pretend 'Simon Birch' never happened), but it still seemed like a stretch. I'll put it on my to-watch list.

PS - Hey Cam - my Jackson Five play is just about finished. Interested in some light reading for the next 5am wakeup call? ;)

Yeah, to be honest, I was surprised how well Roberta came off. She's introduced to us as Roberta and there really aren't too many references to her biological gender--at least, not that I caught. Her relationship with Garp, and his 100% acceptance of her, was one of the best parts of the movie. Now I won't go so far as to say it's flawless, but for it's time, I felt it was extremely progressive.

The part you're alluding to does happen, but it was the familial aftermath that caught me off guard. Although, as a father of two sons, how they move on from that was...problematic. However, the novel probably gets a little more into it. Let's just say, "Well, that was quick" was definitely a phrase that came to mind. Also the final scene. I did not see that coming.

Let me know what you think of it. It was my first time watching it, and I'd be interested to hear your take...

RE: Your play--Yeah, man. Whenever you're ready, I'll Be There :)

• Like 2

Oh, the aftermath of that moment is DEVASTATING in the book. They move to Jenny's house to recuperate, talk about how they're all progressing, slowly move through their day to day, and then, about 20 pages into the chapter, you realise one family member's name hasn't been used that chapter. Fuckin' did me in.

I'm pretty sure the very presence of that scene in the film will ensure I won't watch it, actually. Too much.

• Like 1

Oh, the aftermath of that moment is DEVASTATING in the book. They move to Jenny's house to recuperate, talk about how they're all progressing, slowly move through their day to day, and then, about 20 pages into the chapter, you realise one family member's name hasn't been used that chapter. Fuckin' did me in.

I'm pretty sure the very presence of that scene in the film will ensure I won't watch it, actually. Too much.

(I love how we're dancing around it, but based on what we're saying, it's pretty obvious what happens-LOL)

That was my problem, it should have wrecked me, but it was handled so clumsily. It was like they were trying to pull off the same effect your describing, but it was just obnoxious. When the "incident" happens, they do a slow close up and then cut to Jenny's. And your like, "Oh, fuck! No! (jaw hits the floor) That happened! Okay, just say it. Why is no one talking about this? The fact that you aren't talking about it is starting to piss me off. Wait...did it happen? Oh, it did. Fuck you, movie."

• Like 1

I don't really remember the WAG movie, but I do remember thinking it didn't do the novel justice. The same thing with The Hotel New Hampshire.

Also, Batteries Not Included >>> Cocoon.

• Like 2

Also, Batteries Not Included >>> Cocoon.

Hey, now. No one's disputing that.

• Like 1

(I love how we're dancing around it, but based on what we're saying, it's pretty obvious what happens-LOL)

That was my problem, it should have wrecked me, but it was handled so clumsily. It was like they were trying to pull off the same effect your describing, but it was just obnoxious. When the "incident" happens, they do a slow close up and then cut to Jenny's. And your like, "Oh, fuck! No! (jaw hits the floor) That happened! Okay, just say it. Why is no one talking about this? The fact that you aren't talking about it is starting to piss me off. Wait...did it happen? Oh, it did. Fuck you, movie."

Yeah, the not talking about it thing is just killer in the book. That's the danger of adaptation - you try to recreate the same impact for a different medium, and unless it's done really cleverly, it rarely works. The non-mention of the death is all up to the reader filling in gaps. When you show a scene in a movie, you're seeing everything, so non-mention becomes 'we don't care anymore'. Man, that part is so hard in the book.

If it weren't for 'The Cider House Rules' i would suggest that Irving isn't meant to be adapted.

• Like 1

Are you guys talking about

the penis chomp or the dead kid?

I'm so confused, lol.

• Like 2

This may be a blasphemous thing I'm saying, and out me as being not nearly up enough on the American film catalogue, but how's 'The World According to Garp'?

I was thinking about this and wondering...

I know we're only at the beginning of the year, but assuming Musical Mondays hasn't driven us all apart by the end of the year, I wonder if there's any interest in doing the same thing with "Classic" movies we've somehow never seen? It would be kind of like the episodes of Analyze Phish when it became Analyze "Fish." If you haven't heard them, basically PFT and Howard Kremer take over the podcast and watch Jaws with someone who's never seen it before. It could be a fun way to fill some cinematic gaps...

Just throwing it out there...

• Like 2

I'm so confused, lol.

Well, one leads to the other, but mostly the

dead kid.

• Like 2

I know we're only at the beginning of the year, but assuming Musical Mondays hasn't driven us all apart by the end of the year, I wonder if there's any interest in doing the same thing with "Classic" movies we've somehow never seen? It would be kind of like the episodes of Analyze Phish when it became Analyze "Fish." If you haven't heard them, basically PFT and Howard Kremer take over the podcast and watch Jaws with someone who's never seen it before. It could be a fun way to fill some cinematic gaps...

I think there'd be plenty of interest. Particularly if we can find classics that not many of us have seen (which might be a challenge), or even if we just subjected each other to our absolute favourite movies (although I guess TAP is doing that for us this week).

• Like 3

I'm so confused, lol.

I've never read the novel, but in the movie, the penis thing is kind of a non-event event. I'm talking about the kid dying. I hated that they seemed so wrapped up in their marital issues when their fucking child just died. I also found it very hard to believe--given how it happened-- that he would ever forgive her. I'm a pretty understanding dude, but I think I'd have a really hard time forgiving my wife if, through some neglect on her part, something happened to one of my kids. Especially if the reason my kid died was because she was blowing the guy she was cheating on me with in our driveway just after I had asked her to break it off with him... Forget. That. Shit. I can forgive a lot, but I'm no Saint.

• Like 2

I think there'd be plenty of interest. Particularly if we can find classics that not many of us have seen (which might be a challenge), or even if we just subjected each other to our absolute favourite movies (although I guess TAP is doing that for us this week).

No, I'd definitely want it to be something where at least the person suggesting it has never seen it. Like, if someone had never seen Citizen Kane or something...

• Like 1

Oh yes, that would be great. I've got quite a catching up to do on the classics.

Thanks for the podcast rec - I love PFT and Jaws (it's a perfect movie).

• Like 4

Oh yes, that would be great. I've got quite a catching up to do on the classics.

Thanks for the podcast rec - I love PFT and Jaws (it's a perfect movie).

No problem! Keep in mind, it's just the two episodes. The other episodes are Harris Wittels (R.I.P.) trying to convince Scott Aukerman that Phish is the best band in the world.

SPOILER ALERT

He doesn't :)

• Like 3

No problem! Keep in mind, it's just the two episodes. The other episodes are Harris Wittels (R.I.P.) trying to convince Scott Aukerman that Phish is the best band in the world.

SPOILER ALERT

He doesn't :)

Don't worry, I'm not going to subject myself to unnecessary Phish music.

• Like 3

Don't worry, I'm not going to subject myself to unnecessary Phish music.

Is there necessary Phish music?

• Like 4

I think that's a great idea. There are a lot of major gaps I have with classic movies (I'm seeing Lawrence of Arabia for the first time this weekend, but I feel like it's worth it to have not seen it so far because I'm seeing it in 70MM), so I'd love an excuse to catch up on a bunch that I haven't seen.

• Like 4

I think that's a great idea. There are a lot of major gaps I have with classic movies (I'm seeing Lawrence of Arabia for the first time this weekend, but I feel like it's worth it to have not seen it so far because I'm seeing it in 70MM), so I'd love an excuse to catch up on a bunch that I haven't seen.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of. There are a bunch of movies like that for me, and I would love an excuse to watch them.

• Like 2

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of. There are a bunch of movies like that for me, and I would love an excuse to watch them.

*gets ready to suggest 'It's Pat'*

• Like 2

I saw Lawrence at Cinerama maybe 15 years ago and it's in my top 3 theatrical experiences, so I'd say you made the right decision with Lean's masterpiece.

• Like 3