🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

Double Jeopardy (1999)

Watched this the other day and realized that up until now, I had 100% believed the premise of this movie since first watching it as a teenager. It'd never even occured to me that of course its fucking nonsense that if your wrongly accused of a crime, you dont then immediately get to commit that crime consequence free if you're released.

• Like 2

This is actually one of the better thrillers that Ashley Judd made during that period (along with Kiss the Girls) and she did fine considering what she was given.

Kind of a low bar when the other two films are Eye of the Beholder and High Crimes. This is a an enjoyable movie to be sure though. Bruce Greenwood does a pretty darn good job in this movie as well, despite his accent work.

What gets me is the whole premise hinges on Greenwood letting his kid exclaim "Daddy!" loud enough on the phone so that she hears and realizes that he's alive. Also the whole idea that Judd can murder her husband and get away with it is bunk, because Double Jeopardy is about getting tried for the same offense i.e. stabbing her husband to death at the beginning of the film. While she couldn't get tried again for that crime, there is nothing from stopping her being tried for shooting him at the end of the movie.

I also liked that Greenwood technically made some random child an accessory to kidnapping/attempted murder when he paid him twenty bucks to lead Judd around the graveyard.

It's also been a while since I've seen it, but I remember that he framed her in order to have his life insurance policy got to their kid which he would use when she was in prison, but weren't they super wealthy at the start of the film? Was she the wealthy one in the couple or was it coming from both of them because otherwise him wanting a bit more money through a confusing murder/insurance scam is way more trouble than its worth. Also is this the first time he's done this or has he fathered a dozen kids across the country and framed an equal amount of women in order to get wealthy?

I can't remember if they threw in a line that he was broke from bad investments but they did appear to be quite rich at the outset of the film. The house theyre living in is easily worth somewhere in the millions, and when he told Judd he was buying what appeared to be a boat worth somewhere in the hundreds of thousands she didnt bat an eye.

And I dont think she was the wealthy one because she visits her parents later on a fairly modest farm.

Watched this again recently and realized that it's essentially the concluding chapter in the Fugitive/U.S. Marshalls films. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this