🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane  

13 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Does "Citizen Kane" belong on the AFI List?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/19 at 08:00 AM

I didn't care much for Intolerance when I saw it but it's certainly less controversial. If they had to include Griffith, I might have picked Orphans In The Storm or Broken Blossoms but the latter is still kind of racist. If I recall, the intentions are good but the 1910s were not a great time for portraying Chinese people in American film.

How did the AFI list get made for the anniversary? The original was a list of 400-500 nominated movies then voted on by industry people. Was the anniversary list the same?

I didn’t like Intolerance either.

According to the site I visited, it sounded like it was the same deal. Wikipedia says that AFI is supposed to be doing one every ten years to account for new releases. That means we should see a new list pretty soon (I guess...)

You probably know this already, but the 10th Anniversary List replaced Birth of a Nation with Intolerance. I guess AFI felt like D.W. Griffith had to be represented on the list somewhere and Intolerance was the less controversial choice..?

That's interesting! I haven't seen intolerance either.

• Like 1

Some of the really old movies will be more fresh than the ones from recent decades.

I used to love Tootsie. It was never perfect but the good parts were so good and my parents loved that movie. That one would be tough to rewatch because I'm old enough to remember how Dustin Hoffman gave dozens of interviews talking about how playing that role made him appreciate what an ass he had been as a young man and he was all about the feminist statements. But honestly, the soundtrack might be the deal breaker for me now. Earnest 80s movies had some of the worst songs. That one has a montage that's the equivalent of an 80s music video.

• Like 2

AFI also did other lists and had covered the top 25 American musicals too. So, there is always one of these selections: http://letterboxd.co...atest-musicals/

How did they pick Top Hat for the musical list but Swing Time for the movies list? And I still like the Gay Divorcee, Follow the Fleet, and the one where he plays a ballet dancer better.

• Like 1

I didn’t like Intolerance either.

According to the site I visited, it sounded like it was the same deal. Wikipedia says that AFI is supposed to be doing one every ten years to account for new releases. That means we should see a new list pretty soon (I guess...)

I'm curious what films came out in the last 11 years that people would consider the top 100 American movies. I might consider No Country For Old Men or There Will Be Blood.

• Like 1

That's interesting! I haven't seen intolerance either.

I mean, I don’t know that for sure, for sure. I’m just guessing. It just seems like Intolerance doesn’t fit much of the AFI’s criteria on its own.

Personally, I could do without either of them being on the list, but from a film history perspective, I guess I get it. Maybe. Sort of...

• Like 1

Also Swing Time has the Fred Astaire in black face number.

• Like 1

I notice Cameron's video was taken down, so let's just repost here for posterity.

Plus one more that wasn't in there:

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this